Thursday, January 20, 2011

WHERE WERE YOU WHEN...?

How many of you know you were and what you were doing when something big happened?  How big a thing does it take for you to remember it forever?  How many of these big (important, personal, historic, close, far...) things do you actually remember as though they were yesterday?  In fact, how many fairly insignificant things do you remember and can't forget and can't figure why?
The reason why I'm on this track today is that it is the 50th anniversary of the best inaugural speech that i have ever heard.  Yes, I remember John F. Kennedy's inaugural address just as well as I remember his assassination.  
Therefore, to be fair here is a list of things I remember as well now as if they had happened yesterday, as the saying goes.
1.  The death and funeral of Aunt Cécile Dion.
2.  The end of World War II
3.   I mentioned Kennedy above.  In the same vein     I also remember Chappaquiddick
4.   I remember the Marcos coup
5.   I remember the Ecumenical Council History
6.   I remember snow in Rome
7.   I remember 9/11/2001
There are some things that I still remember clearly, but I let these stand for the moment.  It's an interesting exercise.  You start of by identifying only four or five, and then the wave grows and becomes a marvelous flow of brain electricity.
Finally, I remember the election of Barack Obama.  
I would tell you that I remember the time of invalidity that I had one short year ago, but for the record, there is so much of that event that is dark in my mind, I am amazed more at the power of modern drugs to take us away from some of the most challenging moments of our lives that I am stupefied by my inability to remember the events of about 10 days of my adult life.
I of course remember  the day of my father's death and some of the events that were put into motion by that happening.  One of the things that I dwell upon if I analyse things that I remember is the fact that they break about evenly between disasters and consolations.  
So, let me leave you with these thoughts.  I sent you an email off the side this morning.  I hope that you enjoyed.  It's not that my thoughts were amputated, just that I didn't have a way at hand (so to speak) to get them graphically communicated.
PS  No one has submitted the definition of BLIBOT.  I do have the record of one give and take about it.  It's fun.  Some other time.


No comments:

Post a Comment