Monday, January 24, 2011

NO NEW THOUGHT, NOT A ONE -- IS THAT POSSIBLE?

Is it possible to go for 24 hours without having one, single new thought cross your brain?  I think it is possible.  I cannot for the like of me find a thought that came to me today that is different from any other one that I can remember ever having.  Is it possible that I have come to the age when the infinitude of thought has finited itself?  Interesting question, right?  Can you imagine what would happen if a significant portion of the world's population were to suddenly have a mental block and no significant new idea(s) stirred the gray matter of millions, no, wait, billions of human beings?  Would the earth stop going around on it axis?  Would gravity stop?  Would the economy feel the shock?  Would newspapers be one or two pages short?  What would happen to TIME magazine?  SLATE?  CNN?  How would children in school fare in the empty space of non-original thought?  Would there be enough first-time input to children's brains to make up for the banality of the adult thought production for that day?  This has got be serious stuff.  How can the world run on "empty" this way?  I know for a fact that I usually have at least one interesting thought every single day.  But that has not been true for this day.  The sun came up.  People greeted me and I greeted them back.  My English was pretty good.  I didn't need my French, Italian, Ilokano, Tagalog or Latin.  I do have to admit that my Spanish was better today than it is on average.  I even addressed two different groups tonight to make formal introductions of special professionals to major audiences without notes and walked away happy with my grammar and creative syntax.  Is that supposed to be sufficient to satisfy me?  I don't think so.
So, that's it for today.  Except for some above average emotionally super charging satisfying results during the first full day of our Parish Adult Faith Formation Week Symposium, it was a rather non stimulating intellectually sleepy day.   So, here I go for the horizontal cure in the hopes that my Darling Goddess Morpheus can do something for me over night so that I can have some challenging cranial vibes take me through the 25th day of January.

No comments:

Post a Comment