Tuesday, January 25, 2011

NOW, I GOT A THOUGHT OR TWO, SO BRACE YOURSELF...

...Add some glue to your false teeth, put an extra strip of velcro on the more revealing edges of whatever it is that you wear while at your computer and put a seat belt on your chair.  This one is not original for today.  I've had it before.   It slammed me this morning because I am always on edge for this one.  ALWAYS.
I got back to the church this morning after the evening full of 90 minute sessions that made up the first night of the mini symposium that Belle and I have organized for the adults of the parish. We got there early to prepare the coffee that precedes the morning talks and to conduct some "exit polling" of those who had attended yesterday's events.  Things were going rather well when the first person just answered the question with a smile and a positive response.  The second person, when asked about his opinion about the presentation on Islam, said that he was happy that his preconceived ideas had almost all been confirmed before leaping head first into a stream of broken-record repetitions of abortion statistics and the culture of death...  I quickly turned to another person heading for the main door of the church and accosted her to ask if she has enjoyed the presentation on the Mexican Martyrs, "Los Cristeros".  She said "Yes."  After which she burst into a diatribe about the fact that we weren't presenting anything on the greatest evil ever to visit planet earth, abortion.  (She's wrong, it is slated for tonight)  Now, the first one took about 25 seconds before getting to the target.  The second one was less than 5.  I have written about this phenomenon before, so I will not dedicate too much time to it here, today.  I will say this: I am pro-choice and do not make an effort to tell me that I am mistaken.  And most especially, give me more than 20 seconds of advance notice that you are a person who has but one single item of religious conversation available on the tip of the tongue.  I want you to know that I am anti-abortion.  I don't hide behind euphemisms like "pro-life."  I am not pro-life.  God created us free, with  the challenge of keeping ourselves pure in His sight by exercising choice according to His Will.  I kill animals before eating them.  (He's OK with that)  I uproot weeds; I cut down trees; I use insecticide; I am OK with policemen who carry guns, presumably because they may have to kill a human being someday; I am OK with drone warfare, to a degree.  I am against abortion, no matter at what stage of development the abortion takes place.  That means that I have room in my small brain for understanding that not all zygotes or whatever other name humans in development can be known by, are in fact "human."  And don't you Catholics come down and say that everything in the womb is human from the point of conception.  Not even the Church goes that far.  You give me that and I'll give you the right to declare yourself pro-life even though you still dearly cling to your pro capital punishment, second amendment solutions, animal killing, meat eating proclivities.  At least I don't have to live with that lie.  I have some of my own that I like better.
So, now you know.  I have had enough of the abortion activist ear splitting emotionalism to last me well into my fast approaching next lifetime.  One thing about this makes me happy:  now that I have "come out of the closet" there's not a one of you who will have even the slightest temptation to cry at my funeral.


BTW:  I guarantee that I pray for all you "sidewalk warriors" every single day.

No comments:

Post a Comment