Thursday, January 20, 2011

HEY LOOK, MY FINGERS WORK AGAIN

NOT QUITE THIS FLEXIBLE
Hey, the time has come when I can get something done.  There are things in nature that can make us take some detours the we would prefer to avoid.  These are greater than technologically dictated detours.  Let me give you a personal example.
I have done a lot of professional driving.  All of it in passenger vans.  About 40 percent of it on what is sometimes euphemistically called a "freeway."  Ha.  Believe me, even there you have to have a philosophy.  The philosophy is that you can only use what the road gives you.  You can never overcome the avaricious nature of the road.  When you are on that ribbon of technology realized, you are at its mercy.  You always proceed according to its definition of itself.  You can either go fast or slow.  You can be alone, or nearly so, or you can be cramped.  But one way or the other, you do what the road permits you to do. Remember now I am talking about the freeway, so called.  There are free moments, but there also plenty of ligating (tying-up) ones.  The most interesting part of my experience is the city street driving that I did.  Boy, do I have some stories!  For a little more than one year, I drove an average of 200 plus miles per day, six days per week on city streets.  For those of you know California can readily smile and say, "Yeah, that can't be that bad.  He should have done that in Massachusetts."  I admit that doing it in Mass. would have been something either to brag about or to decry.  I do not know which I would have done.  One thing I do know, with my philosophy of "thanking the road for what you get from it, whether it is what you want or even, in some cases, what you need, is the way to inner peace."  I would  have been all right.
Over the last week, that is what I have been doing with regards to my left lower arm.  That limb found a way to get my attention.  It did it by denying me normal "traffic".  Now it's had some attention.  Now it is my turn again.   I could get really philosophical about pain and suffering again, but I'm going to spare you.  I'm here now and I have typed all of this and you have an insight into the kind of attitude I learned myself into by driving professionally.  So see, we learn from anything, if we want.   Can you believe that I wrote "I learned myself into"?  Somehow it sounds good.  A little like Shakespeare taking some poetic license.  Not bad for the Bard of South Hadley on Connecticut, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment