Friday, January 14, 2011

1,000,000 PAIRS OF EYEBALLS

This is not going to be very deep.  This is something that children wonder about but that grown adults generally don't spend much time pondering.  It is something that I think bout because I have spent a lot of time in the public eye.  That is not to say that we don't all have to spend time in the public eye, but some of us get a little bit more exposure than others.
Did you ever think what it would be like if you said something, or wrote something that would be considered by 1,000,000 individuals in a short period of time?  Did you ever think what it would be like to be like the guy with the voice who just got himself discovered and had been seen by over 20,000,000 people on TV and on You Tube by now?  Where can that guy go without being recognized?  He has to be wondering the same thing.  
I know what it means to have people come up to me and say that they will never forget me because of something that I said in a class or something that I did at work or at church.  But I don't know what I would do if I knew that there were 20,000,000 or more with some feeling about me, good or bad.  It is something that I think about.  Even now, with only about 700 different times that this blog has been opened by readers in slightly more than 6 weeks, I ask myself if that makes me a better person or a worse one.  I ask myself if I should be more careful about the things I do, the clothes I wear, the language I use, both here and outside in conversation.  I ask myself,  "Why  do this?"   I ask myself why I listened to the inspiration that I got during the night of November 24 to 25, 2010.  I have a dozen brainstorms a day and never give in to any of them...well, hardly any.  I guess I'll never know for sure except that I have been dreaming for years to provide my sons with some kind of autobiography.  Would you believe that I still am not sure if this is it or not?
The other day was somewhat of a shocker to me.  I found out that the online magazine that I write for now has a popularity of 1,000,000 visitors and presumably, readers, per month. That made me stand up and take notice.  Like, WOW!, that is a lot of eyeballs skimming over the efforts that I put into creating this stuff with my stiff and swollen arthritic fingers.  The nice thing about that is that the magazine is a Catholic publication called www.ParishWorld.net   I am the Theology editor and I contribute to the meditations and the teaching arms of the magazine.  I mean, 1,000,000 pairs of eyes every month!  How many preachers can claim that?  I tell you all, it is a sobering thought.  That probably had something to do with my answering the call to my midnight inspiration, although I don't remember it ever crossing my mind until maybe two or three weeks ago.  So anyway, these are some of the thoughts that I had today as I traveled from morning to night.  So, not just me, but all of us have to be careful of the way we live our lives because we never know who it is that we are impressing with our virtue and who it is to whom we are doing just the opposite.  Think about it.  It's a big responsibility

No comments:

Post a Comment