Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I HAVE A FOUL MOUTH -- ONE OF MY READERS HAD A VVVEERRRRY CREATIVE WAY OF ADMONISHING ME

SEE ANY CUSS WORDS UP THERE YOU HAVEN'T  HEARD YET?
This, I gotta tell ya.  This is the beauty of the Internet. When you read this, you will smile, I just know you will.
Brace yourself.
I have to confess that I have to make an effort to keep my mouth clean.  It is easy for me to use what is known as "strong speech" for effect.  I also have to confess that there was a time in my life that I used "strong speech" without the need for effect.  Sometimes, that time is now.  So it didn't surprise me that over the last week when I did use some "strong speech" for effect in titles for posts on this blog it didn't take long before the subject came up in an admonition from the audience.  Given my propensity to use certain words, I thought that the words I used in the title were bland enough for public consumption.  Well, they weren't and I was admonished about it in a very creative and gentle way.  I can't stop shaking my head about the tactic.  It is pure genius.
I received an email from a friend whom I respect and admire.  She started by telling me how much she enjoys reading the "365 thoughts".  She went on to ask me to think of a relative of hers in my prayers so that this person can overcome the bad habit of using foul language.  The interesting part of the communication is that it describes the relative as being very careful about the quality of her words when she is at work at the church where she is employed.  It is when she is away from her work environment that she becomes fluent in "pot speech".
This is an interesting syndrome.  Strange how it sounds just like me!  There are just certain words in certain languages that can't be beaten for their effect.  Even if the effect is to make me comfortable when I use them.  In fact, I have even had the creative genius of translating B*S# into Latin for my Catholic Traditionalist friends.  In my warped mind, this is a fun pass time.  Find a way to happily continue cussing while not offending the faint of ear and heart in the process.  Of course, when I put some out of the ordinary words in a title for all to see, I suppose I should expect to feel some reactive radiation.
So, Congratulations JW, you have brought a smile to my lips and warmth to my heart.  I promise you that I will pray for your sister so that she can curb her disgusting habit.  Would you mind if I suggest to her that she learn how to do it in a foreign tongue?  Or do you wish for her to clean it out altogether?   Now, on the off chance that my humorously convoluted conspiracy theory is indeed correct, I promise that I will never use a foul word, no matter how benign on this blog again...Not even in Latin, or any other lingo.
I shouldn't have promised that.  It will be harder than quitting alcohol ever was.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment