Friday, January 21, 2011

THE MIRACLE OF SNOW

I don't watch much TV.  But I been seeing a lot of this on the Internet these days.
More snow!  "Like manna from heaven let each snowflake remind us of the marvelous and precious creation that we are, as individually unique as a snowflake, but dearly beloved by The Creator.  Alleluia!!!" (Reef Lector)


To that wonderful reflection let me add the Southern California answer by wishing, "Let the SONshine in!"


I just finished talking about memories. I have to confess that I have glorious, God-praising memories about winter miracles.  Of all the times that I get up in the morning, look out and thank God for a marvelous, cloud-free, bright sunshiny day, I have over-arching memories of snow-laden trees, sensually sinuous snow-drift waves of pure white reflecting the presence of God back at me.  I have the insistent, brain-space invading memories of soft rounded hills, bordered by banks of pine trees silhouetted in front of the breath-taking Northern Lights with their miraculously pastel hues of blues and reds.  I have the crackling, splitting intrusion of 20 below zero memories of meadows covered by four foot thick blankets of snow reflecting the light of a glorious full moon and turning Sister Night into a valiant sibling competitor of Brother Day.  The very same memories of the times when we could lay down four coats of water on the ever hardening ice-hockey rink on the edge of the self-same gloriously blanketed meadows.
So, yes, Reef, you've played the trump card.  There are no memories better than those of miraculous winters because even we denizens of Sunny, Southern California know, by memory, that it is in the Glory of Winter that the SON shines best.
That's one more thing that I have gotten off my chest.  But I still carry the burden that all emigrants carry, the insistent memories and love of the homeland together with the obdurate decision to never return. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment