Tuesday, March 1, 2011

SIMPLER TIMES?

 
Simpler times?  This is one of the top pictures that came up when I did a Google search for something appropriate for this post.  Why do this?  I had to repair a leak in the commode so I went to buy the part I needed at Home Depot.  As I was checking out, the cashier and I got into a little friendly exchange of quips.  I slipped her a twenty and she smiled and said, "Living simply today, aren't we?"  I said something like, "Yeah like old times" and she came back with, "Simpler times."  As I began to leave I simply said, "they weren't that simple."  All she had time to rejoin was, "Simpler than now."
OK, enough with the senseless exchange.  I'll leave it up to you.
Wood or coal furnaces/stoves vs gas or electric
Washing machines with mechanical wringers vs automatic washers
Clothes lines vs dryers
Seasonal adjustments to diet vs worldwide distribution of food stuffs
Spark plugs with 10,000 miles of life vs whatever we have today
Stove top cooking vs microwave
Newspapers vs Internet
Party telephone lines vs cellular phones or Skype
Library vs Google
Must iron clothing vs wrinkle proof material
Need to learn cursive handwriting vs machine driven communication
Fountain pens vs ball point/gel pens
Manually shifted autos vs automatic transmissions
Banks open from 10 to 3, 4 and 1/2 days per week vs round the clock, 7/24 access

Finally, Catholics went to church and didn't understand a word of Latin.   Now we go and it is in the language of the location.  Simpler times?  What am I missing here?  I lived in those "simpler" times.  Give me my cell phone and my laptop, any day.  Oh, and I almost forgot, I really like not having to change light bulbs, tires and spark plugs so often.

No comments:

Post a Comment