Friday, March 11, 2011

TSUNAMI

TSUNAMI SURGE
Today was a day of a tsunami and I dare say that this event caused some thoughts to be generated in my graying pate.  First, at about 7:30 PST, USA, the Voice from the Kitchen excitedly said that there was a tsunami advisory for the West Coast.  This was because there was an earthquake in Japan that measured 8.9 on the Richter scale.  I said that I was absolutely sure that our personal assets would be safe.  We continued to prepared to go to Mass.  We prayed for the victims and came back for breakfast and work.  An hour later we were back to doing the things that we had planned for the day.  I opened my email and sitting on top was a message from my sister in Massachusetts saying that my nephew had called her and asked about us.  She asked him why and he explained that there was a tsunami advisory for California.
That's touching.  A nephew with whom we have rare contact thinks of us during a tsunami advisory.  
Sister and I exchange an email or two and she mentions that she is wondering about the family of the Voice from the Kitchen.  They live in the Philippines.  I have to admit that because I know where they live, there is not a .00000001 chance that they would be affected.  But, know what?  I ran to Google News to find out what had happened in the Philippines.  I checked Manila, Cebu, Davao, Olongapo.  Nothing bad happened.  That, I must admit was a happy surprise.  So not only did the land-locked relatives escape calamity, but it seems as though everyone else did too.
So, I tell her via email that everything in the P.I. is copacetic.  I go back to doing my project of the moment.  Then it strikes me.  I have friends in Japan and Australia.  What am I thinking of?  I have to check.  So, Google be damned.  Direct email.  Japan, Australia, including the friends in Tasmania.  Three words: "Are you OK?"
Five minutes later, even though it is 5:30 AM there, First Australia and then Japan, AOK. Phew.  Thank you,Lord.
I can't help but think how close we are to one another.  I can't help but wonder what role advanced warning technology played in keeping the death and injury toll down.  All of this happened while I was doing business in France for some children whose French mother died some six months ago.  This world seems to have shrunk to baseball size.  Yet, the forces it engenders are so massive.  I sit here tonight amazed that the minute something of this magnitude happens, we join together in spirit.  Though helpless physically, we strive to reach out to help through the strength of our mind, heart and soul.
Alleluia.

No comments:

Post a Comment