Thursday, March 17, 2011

TINTINNABULATE -- KULIBANGBANG -- ULTRACREPIDATE -- ENCHIRIDION

ENCHIRIDION
I got to thinking today, for a change!  When I do that I usually talk softly to myself.  I also fall into my favorite sesquipedalianisms.  That's a fancy word for a multi-syllable word that doesn't mean much but has a lot of sound.  I do that because I like to listen to the sound of fancy words in my mind.  It's more humble that way because no one hears me.  Today was one of those days.  It's a game that I play.  Today, for example I was looking for a companion to my favorite given name, just by the sound.  For years I have been partial to Guillermina.  Roughly, "guee-yair-meen-ah."  Spanish for the feminine of "Little William."  I've liked the sound of that name for years.  It doesn't hurt that the first Guillermina I met was a very fetching creature before the eyes of men.  God must have liked her too, because He could stand back and pat himself on the back for doing such a great job on the day that He made her.  I still don't have a name in mind that I can say that I like as much as this one.  Many of us know that EFR Dion's favorite name was "Jeanine."  To me he always said it was because of his great admiration for Joan of Arc.  I still suspect that it was because of the song, "Jeanine, I dream of you in lilac time..."
The words on the title line represent some of my favorites, three in English and one in Ilokano.  The one in bold here isn't my all time favorite word, but my favorite is so far out there that it would be hard to make you get the feel of it.  KULI-BANG'-BANG'.  The accent is hit like staccato on those two syllables.  Of course the "A" is pronounced like the English "A" in lAw.  When you say it often enough in repetition, you get the idea that you are imitating the flight of a butterfly.  It is a really neat word.  TINTINNABULATE is onomatopoeic because it imitates the sound of the object that it describes...a bell.  If you're not careful with this guy, it will turn into an ear worm in a heart beat.  
ULTRACREPIDATE is a favorite of mine not so much for the sound, although it is a tough sounding beast, isn't it, but because of the meaning.  It is a word that I occasionally use to cut someone down to size for criticizing a reality about which the individual has little or no real knowledge.  I can say that with a smile and a chuckle, even in public, and get away with it because there aren't to many humans who really know what it means.  It helps me get it off my chest and get away with people thinking that I'm an arrogant ass who uses big words.  That's cheap compared to what they would feel if they really knew what I had said.  Fortunately, I haven't had too many opportunities to unload this one in my lifetime.
The last one I put up there is one of my favorites because of its etymology.  It means "book for the hand" in Greek.  It's a reference book.  A book of lists,  actually.  Centuries before Kasey Kasem.  The humorous reality here is that Enchiridia (plural) are usually found in libraries and monasteries and in universities.  They have grown up and they are far, far from being books for the hand.  I guess you could say that they are not handbooks either, although they really are quite accomplished handbooks.  Where's George Carlin when I need him?
My favorite word in French is really very common, but quite picturesque.  "Grimper."
The sound says so much.  I love it.  Then again when we were small children we used to love the sound of the word "turluter" which is to make musical sounds like beebopping.
So I leave you with an insight of how I relax even while I am working.  I listen to my favorite words.
Ok, Ok, so you want to hear my all time favorite.  Here it is: BULALAYAO.  With emphasis to make people feel the awe in you, you can say BULLALLAYAO.  Allow me try to sound it out for you.  BOO - LAW - LIE - OW.  Now you have to tell me what it is.  Yes, it is a noun.  It describes something biblical and beautiful that is a sign of God's promise.



No comments:

Post a Comment