Thursday, March 17, 2011

QUIET COMPANIONSHIP, LIKE I WAS TAUGHT TO APPRECIATE

GREAT THOUGHT TODAY. WORKING AT HOME I LIT A CANDLE TO HAVE  A PRESENCE AND SOME PEACE AND QUIET.  Instead of the music in my ears, I decided to have some movement in soft and gentle waves in my peripheral vision.  I desired some companionship while I was working, so it dawned on me that Catholics have this respect for candles.  So I decided to be Catholic for a day and try it out.  I have to confess that it is quite soothing in a subtle way.  It was a small candle.  Not real small, but one that was substantial enough to keep me company for as long as I felt the comfort of its companionship.  It made me think that I was in a monastery.  Silence.  Golden silence.  Little flickers of changing light even in the daytime.  The occasional smell of the by-products of the process of self immolation that candles go through.  I did not have a pure beeswax candle like I used to have.  This one was just a simple paraffin product of the petroleum age.  Unscented, just pure hardened jelly with a wick.  Beeswax is much friendlier.  The substance itself gives off an aroma that is clean and natural.  It hearkens you back to the hive from which it came.  The bees working together, protecting the queen, building the internal cells for the pro-creative process. They too sacrifice themselves for their own welfare and that of those who will come and pluck their magnificent architecture away from them. I suppose that I would have felt more at home with a true beeswax candle.  I will say, however, that my petroleum friend did quite fine in the way of being a tranquil, warm and enlightening silent partner.  All day I kept thinking of how Jesus in the Tabernacle has a candle keeping vigil over Him constantly.  The candle pays the same price that Jesus did.  It consumes itself in our stead, just as He did 2,000 years ago.  All told, I had an interesting spiritual experience with my "wick-ed" companion.  I thank God for giving me the insight and the inspiration to put myself in that situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment