Friday, March 11, 2011

NO ONE READS IT ANYWAY -- #1 SON ABOUT "365 THOUGHTS"

No one reads it anyway.  That's what I heard about the blog that you, being someone is reading.  You And 1,670 others in the short time that this has been public.  In the short time that I have been on this earth I have come to the conclusion that whatever is written will someday be read.  I grew up in a place where there were newspapers competing for eyeballs every day.  There were English Language newspapers, Polish Language newspapers, Chinese Language newspapers and French Language newspapers.  Some one had to be reading them.  I remember that every weekend we would have two New York City newspapers in our house.  They featured great colored comics sections and a Sunday Magazine.  I remember very vividly one Sunday when the magazine cover had some scantily clad cheer leaders and our baby brother who was all of about 7 or 8 made the "woo-woo" sound.  Even my overly modest mother laughed at that.  Print survived because people read.  The Internet is popular because it presents so many choices to be read.  Ideas abound.  (Maybe not here, but they're out there somewhere.)
As human beings we have a drive to get a glimpse inside one another's heads.  We want to know what the other person is thinking.  We are driven to validate our own opinions.  We do that most easily when a person lays it out in black and white rather than to keep it covered inside his/her coconut. Reading is like being at a car race, rather than at a horse race.  What's the difference?  I never met anyone who would go to a horse race to see a crash.  You?  When we read we are always looking for the "Gotcha" moment [crrasshh] when we can firmly disagree with the author's position.  That's what I love about reading on the Internet.  If I read something that lights my fire, man, it's like, comment, comment, comment.  I always put my name too.  None of this anonymous, light a firecracker and run away stuff.  I want you to know that someone is enjoying the clash of opinion, whether or not you intended to cause a clash.  So don't tell me that "no one reads it anyway."  I know that someone is reading it because my computer tells me so...and...the comment box does too.  And remember to put your real name because "anonymity is the enemy of progress in truth."

No comments:

Post a Comment