Sunday, March 20, 2011

THE GREAT ILLUSION

FRONTISPIECE "GREAT ILLUSION"
So, you're wondering what I am up to today.  I am sharing something with you that I discovered during my early days of "Internet surfing."  I have never forgotten this experience.  I don't think of it often, but when I do and, like today,  am in a relaxing mood, I return to it.  It has been several years since I have spent a moment with this site.  I can honestly say that the 20 minutes or so that I dedicated to visiting the pictures and the thoughts were very pleasurable indeed.  The creators of this presentation are very exciting persons, I am sure.  The author of the poetry is not the visual artist.  However, the two of them seem to have developed a commonality of thought and mental imagery that goes beyond the commonplace.  Being there with them is an exciting experience of a different nature than those to which most of us are accustomed.  It is a pleasure for me to invite you to click on the link and to go where over 2,000,000 un-duplicated souls have gone before.  However, allow me to say this. Oh, by the way, whether you allow me or not, I'm going to say it!  I do not present this opportunity to you for any other reason than the aesthetics that it presents.  It is a fine human experience.  I do not find myself in accord with many of the thoughts that are propounded by the author/poet.  I do state that I am intrigued and beguiled by many of the opinions presented here.  The author has a way of twisting my mind into non-habitual shapes, and my curiosity is always piqued by certain turns of phrase.  I have been visiting this poet for many years, and every time I get a rush from some far-out turn that I had missed before.  
What attracts me the most is the conjunction of poetry and visual representations as they flow across my consciousness.  The conjoining of the two creates many challenges to my mental state as well as to my personal, habitual perceptions of reality.  I know that some of you will take one look and beat feet out of there.  I also know that some of you will be taken by the creativity of the whole and perhaps spend more time than you had anticipated at the outset.   For those of you in the second set, I make the assurance that this site isn't going anywhere soon.  In fact, over the years Victor Kahn (the poet) has added more thoughts.  So you will be able to leave it, go to bed early to prepare for work tomorrow and return to continue the visit.

I therefore leave you with something that you would perhaps not have expected of me.  Then again, some of you know that I can be a rather surprising animal.  I hope that most of you will enjoy the experience of "The Great Illusion."

No comments:

Post a Comment