Sunday, February 27, 2011

EPISTEMOLOGY -- HE, HE, NO IT'S NOT ABOUT THAT!

I bet you never heard that word before.  Oh, you did.  Good for you.  I just know that you wonder what I am doing with that up there.  Well, I'm going to tell you.  For years now, many, many years, I have often pondered on the question of how I know that I know.  I often wonder how I know that others see me?  How do I know why people recognize me when they see me?  Why is it that I sometimes doubt that I can recognize someone if I see that someone whom I already know?  How do I know that cars are being guided by humans who can see, just like I can?  How old was I when it dawned on me that everyone can see, just like I do?  Why is it that some people can fool you into thinking that you are seeing something when in fact it is something else that they want to show you?  When did I become aware that when I touch someone, that someone feels just as I do?  I remember asking myself very often, even to this day, how some people have a word for one thing, and others have a different word for the same thing.   For instance, some call it rain; some call it pluie; others call it pioggia; some lluvia; some tudo; some ulan.  In some countries where there are a lot of variations on the same theme, there are just so many words in the theme, so the same spelling can mean different things in different parts of the country.  Sometimes the differences are separated by a line in the sand.  How does that happen?  The science that helps us to arrive at  the answers to these questions is called epistemology.  Actually, I guess it is part of psychology.  I used to know some of the answers, or at least the answers that we were told when I was in school.  They have perhaps been clarified by now, but I sure don't know what they are.  I just enjoy asking the questions.  The one about I see, you see, we all see, how and when do we get to know that?  The whole question of recognition is an interesting one to me.  How do we know that we are all human?  When do we get that knowledge?  Sounds easy, doesn't it...but go ahead, give it a whack and try to satisfy yourself with your own answer.  Good luck.
When do we know that a blind person is human?  What about humans who really look different that I do? Are they able to see and hear like I do?  How can they understand their speech when I can't?  Do they have grammar too?  [I told you the other day that some of them don't even have the verb "to be".]  Why do I get so many of these questions when I am in another country?  Oh look, these people dress just like I do.  Aiieee, that makes me think about the ladies in the Arab countries.  If you've never been there, here's one for you.  You've seen pictures of them all covered up except for their eyes.  You should be in public with them.  Watch their eyes.  WoW!! It's dark on the outside but those eyes tell you that there's a 1,000 watt bulb on the inside.  When those eyes tell you that the fire is lit, you KNOW it.  I wish you all could have that experience.  And they don't have to worry about blushing either.  It's all covered up.  So believe me, their eyes let it all hang out.  Now that's not epistemology.  Nope.  That's a much shorter word.  Pick the one you want.  I trust you will not have to ponder too long.
So, friends, all this just to tell you that I love the easy questions with the hard answers.  I spend a lot of time on this stuff when I'm driving.  Driving is a philosophical exercise. Except when I get interrupted by thoughts of 20 year old Arab ladies; well, their eyes, anyway!
This thought didn't go where I thought it would.  One thing is sure. It is all pure me.

No comments:

Post a Comment