Wednesday, February 2, 2011

HAVE YOU WOKKED YOUR DOG LATELY?



I had this strange urge, a truly new thought just about 20 minutes ago.  I dared myself to go to Google and satisfy my curiosity.  So I went, wrote "wok a dog tonight" and the very first picture in the array was this one.  So see, I'm not the only one who has these thoughts.  Someone else evidently had it before me.
In reality a wok-ed dog never looks like this.  This is North American "cute".  It is easy to display because the first impulse is to smile and feel nice and fuzzy inside.  
I got this far and decided that I was treading on a socially taboo subject, so I went to look it up and found some fairly surprising statements, not all of them totally accurate, I must say, but interesting, all.  Since this is meant to be a humorous "thought", I won't get too deep into this.  I will just say that in the last 20 minutes I have discovered that in over about 70% of the civilized world, the consumption of dogs by humans is frowned upon and in about 45% it is out and out illegal.  
In my estimation, therefore, this is proof that democracy will never work.  It is also proof of the truth of the quote at the foot of my email.  
"Truth draws strength from itself, not from the amount of consent it arouses". (Pope Benedict XVI)
Imagine, 70% of the world not appreciating the truth that the planet's hunger problem would be diminished if the attitude was turned end for end.  
What can you expect from a guy who tells you not to cry at his funeral?

Let me finish with the true story of Roald Amundsen.  (Roald Amundsen's South Pole expedition (1910–1912) It is a historical fact backed by the words of the explorer himself that he and his team were successful largely because they and their sled dogs consumed the weaker members of the dog team.
Had they not done this they ran the risk of not making it back away from the Pole.  
If you want to have an interesting intellectual experience, compare the Amundsen (Norwegian) story with that of British explorer Robert Falcon Scott, both racing to "discover" the South Pole.  


The Norwegians got there first and got out.  The Brits got there only to find the Norwegian flag.  They turned around and all of them perished trying to get back to their base camp.  It is somewhat reminiscent of the colonists and the Redcoats on the Concord and Lexington battle front with which we all so familiar.  The Norwegians rough and ready, the British prisoners of their plan.  As we all know, serendipity has its benefits.

Finally:  It is generally thought that dogs have been "friends" to humans for nigh on to 20,000 years.  It seems as though they have earned their high place in the minds and hearts of the people of planet earth.

2 comments:

  1. As you seem to be the only person in the history of forever to do that search, I can only assume it was you who found my Wordpress blog when you typed that in? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nasty Evil Ninja:
    Actually, I only found your blog when I wondered if "Wok a dog tonight" would render an image. It did, right in the position of preference, the upper left hand corner of the search page.
    Since you have written the comment, and I have posted it, I have visited your blog and I like it. You're like I am. You tackle the challenging stuff. I read your take on the gay issue and like the way you write.
    By the way, if you have had the joy of eating dog meat, you know just how savory it really is.
    Make yourself at home in my world.

    ReplyDelete