Friday, February 11, 2011

BURNING THE MIDNIGHT OIL

I gotta break this habit
Who, me?  Yup.  I've been doing this a lot lately.  Not because I HAVE to get something done, but because I love the silence and the quiet.  Problem is that it has a tendency to make my day begin later and that is really not good.  Those of you who have the same tendency perhaps do the same thing I do.  I push myself past the two or three yawns that should be obeyed as invitations to bed.  Once I have stared them down, I'm good for the long haul.
Problem also is that I get so much done.  Like now, I'm preparing a presentation for the Secular Franciscans over at another parish.  I've had it in my head for some long days now.  Finally tonight I sat down and made it appear "on paper", so to speak.  So, that's done.
Problem also was that I had some serious thinking to do about a question that came up about marriage and what Jesus has to say about it.  A Catholic friend of mine who has been entertaining some Jehovah's Witnesses Missionaries for about 8 or 9 weeks let himself get snookered into a corner about the Jesus exception in favor of divorce.  *&%@#++!!  So I wrote him a "study" about it and you can read it, if you like, by clicking here. 
Then I had this other thing to do, get an itinerary done for a pilgrimage to Rome, LaSalette, Paray-le-Monial, Lourdes and Paris.  So I did that and wrote a little nasty introduction to the travel agent who was trying to send us in two directions at the same time.  Love the French!
So see, I get to do all this and still spend some emotional time watching the Egyptians celebrate in Cairo.  After 8,000 years of civilization, it takes all this?  After 8,000 years and we still have viciously oppressive theocracy in Iran?  The area of Babylon!  The inventor of the alphabet!  The inventor of the zero, you know, like in "0".  Think of it.  It's quite a concept.  My big thought is, "Don't human beings ever learn anything?"
Come to think of it, although that was not the thought that began this whole thing, I have just decided that it is time for beddy-bye because that last thought is just so neat!  I'm quitting while I'm ahead.  I'm throwing myself into the arms of Morpheus.

1 comment: