Friday, February 4, 2011

YOUR WAY WITH WORDS -- AMANUENSIS? -- AWAY WITH YOUR WORDS

Quote: " hate to ask, but I am wondering if you can supply X's needs as stated in the email below.  Let me know if you can spare some of your precious time to write something short and sweet for "Y."  You have a way with words which I admire highly.  I am sending this request to you because frankly I am up to my neck with all my other obligations.  Or, let me know how I should respond." 

I will spare you the reading of the response I gave to this well-meaning soul.  This was a classic situation in which a high placed person was asked to write a short encomium about a person under his authority.  It was to grace the inside front page of a rather formal four page program outlining the activities of an important soirée to be held in honor of the above indicated person.  It turned out that the high level person in authority begged off by saying that he had too many other important things on his plate.  He suggested that someone write the fluff, put it in front of him to sign and so it would be done.  The petitioner then turned to the soul who composed the quote above.  Above quotee then turned to me.  I made the politically unacceptable mistake of saying, "NO."  It was also a mistake in tactics.  I know another person to whom I could have turned and passed the buck further down the line.  I mean, Hey, this guy I know, has a great way with words too.  Not only that, he is still within six degrees of separation from the honoree.  I'm kicking myself for not keeping the chain going.  I'm wondering if the story could ever have wound up on You Tube and gotten several million hits before anyone dared to say "NO."  
It's just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment