Saturday, February 5, 2011

I DON'T AGREE WITH EVERYTHING YOU SAY, BUT...

With a name like I have, and knowing why my father gave it to me, I admire people, especially friends like this one, who tell me that they have points of disagreement with me.  Can you imagine St. Paul being a "yes-man" to Peter?  Neither can I.  Dissent is the fertile ground in which progress thrives.  If that sounds strange, think of what you put at the feet of your most beautiful flowers.  Makes you wear gloves, right? Smells great, right?  If it's good for the flowers, who are we to complain about a little of it in our lives?
Let me also admit that I am an admirer of Karl Marx and the source for many of his ideas, G.W.F.Hegel.  Surprised.  After I finish explaining it, you'll calm down.
The easy parts of the mechanics of these two dynamic thinkers are the process of developing truth from the tension that exists between the thesis and the anti-thesis.  It is possible to apply this principle if you believe that "everything has its opposite."  To understand truth one must not only accept its present form but consider its opposite form as well, and admit the unity of those two forms, the unity of opposites. The unity of opposites manifests itself in the synthesis.  The synthesis is the captured fruit from the tension caused by the force of the thesis and the anti-thesis vying for the same space in our intellect.
This is why it is so important to respect different points of view in life.  This why it is so important to respect the positions of others though they may be 180 degrees away from the ones that we hold.  I am not just speaking of intellectual positions here.  Emotional clashes count too.  They can be somewhat more difficult to resolve than purely intellectual tensions, but they can be resolved.  They can contribute treasures and consolations to those who remain open to incorporating them, at least partially into their lives.
Therefore, you all, welcome to my world.  This is only the secular part -- the thesis.  The spiritual part, the antithesis is, "No Crying at my Funeral".  I know a lot of you disagree with that.  Do you know why?
I propose this to you because I want you all to know that there are many of you who believe that I don't tolerate dissent from my personal views.  I hope that you all enjoy visiting this deep, dark corner of my soul.  I hope you realize that starting from this position, not only do I expect that everyone can expect to hear it from me, just as I relish the prospect of hearing it from you, and anyone else who cares to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment