Saturday, February 12, 2011

365 DAYS AGO -- PART TWO -- FROM A LONG TIME, LIKE-MINDED FRIEND

GREAT GRANDFATHER

Introduction:
I must tell you all.  My dear Friend George Woodworth is working on a family history project that is a mandate from God. (He perhaps would not categorize it as that)  I am sending this to you all with his permission. I an doing this because I too am a firm believer that what we leave behind in writing is forever.  It is the indelible signature of our soul.  As is clear from George's writing, it reaches beyond times that we dare imagine and dives into the hearts of those in our family community.  I hope you enjoy George's thoughts during what appears a month full of memorial anniversaries.



Hi Paul,
 I certainly remember Belle's mother and father.  Every time I think of them, I think of how "hard they worked and at an age when most people would have long been retired." 

108 years ago on February 2nd my great grandfather died (the one who didn't particularly like Catholics) and the one who I am converting his diary to a computer disk.  Over the last year I have read his material 4 times and will do so at least one more time - doing the final editing of all his material.  One can say I have "walked in his shoes" a number of times; each time the steps became much more personal and real to me.  It has been a wonderful and interesting journey.  Of course, I never really knew him, but I tell you I certainly will not forget him.  I am attaching a picture of him for your interest.  Also, I have been working on compiling an interesting history of his oldest son who died in the Civil War. 
I have also been working on a rather complete history of my Mother and Father and brother, which I will pass on to other family members eventually.
All in all, I feel, passing on a written word or two is the best way to leave a trail for someone to remember you.  That is why I feel this work is important, because there certainly is no pay in doing so!  After all, the Bible is a very good example!

Take care.

George

No comments:

Post a Comment