Saturday, February 19, 2011

NEW YORK CITY = THE WORLD, EFR DION // SAN DIEGO = THE WORLD // ME

SAN DIEGO BAY FROM OUR KITCHEN WINDOW
My father used to say, "If you want to see the world, go to New York.  The entire world can be seen in New York City."
For many years, I believed him.  I still do.  Except that there are other cities that I have come to know where this is true,and some more so than New York.
Chicago, Los Angeles, Paris, Rome, London, Rio de Janeiro and Vancouver.
Somewhere in there you will find smaller, more compact cities that are very cosmopolitan also, but because they do not have the breadth of the larger ones named here, they are not on the present list.  I had to leave certain other cities off my list because of my lack of familiarity with them either because I've never been there or my friends haven't made any comments about them.
This thought came to me today because of this:  I went to my Middle Eastern,Chaldean Catholic barber shop where there was an Italian soccer game on the TV (Inter contra Cagliari) being broadcast by a Mexican channel and being announced in Spanish while the barbers were making their own comments in Aramaic.  I  was sitting there speaking English to the only woman working, a Vietnamese.  She and I were the two tourist attractions in the place. Sad, this is not a tourist attraction neighborhood.  This is a "melting pot" corner of the region.  I noticed something else...All the men had perfect haircuts.  Now this gives the lie to the Anglo-Saxon saw, "The barber has the longest hair in town."
Frankly, this is why we love living in San Diego.
That and the other natural qualities, the weather, the climate, the gorgeous creatures of God, the big blue ocean, the miles of green, green grassy parks along the bay, the mountains looming in the east, the multi-cultural festivals that abound and knowing that so many people envy us for the very fact that we live here, and not there.  So, there, schadenfreude!  It's not Christian, but it still feels good.
Enjoy the snow.








.

No comments:

Post a Comment