Sunday, February 6, 2011

I LEARNED SOMETHING FROM TODAY'S SUPER BOWL

I have to start be telling you that I do not follow professional sports any more.  I used to, but then many years ago the baseball players went out on strike.  That did it.  Anyone who makes a truck load of money by the minute and can't get along in life without having an agent and a union between him and his employer is not anyone that I want to support.  So I don't.  I admire their athletic ability from afar, but I am convinced that they need some lessons about managing their own life at large.  But that is only the introduction.  I confess that on Super Bowl Sunday I watched the game out of the corner of my eye because I wanted to see the commercials. You are familiar with the type.  "I buy Playboy because I enjoy the articles."  So here's what I saw.
a. A million-dollar-a-minute bumblebutt drop a pass that your 95 year old grandmother could have caught and scored on.
b. A great, I mean great Coca-Cola ad.  Remember the "Mean Joe Green" ad of many years ago?  This one is better.
c. The same million-dollar-a-minute bumblebutt catch a pass for the last and victory ensuring touchdown pass.
I sat back and shook my head because my brain and my emotions were scrambled.  I was sitting before the television preparing the outline of my Bible Study presentation scheduled for Monday evening.  When I saw the action on the screen, I couldn't help but think of God and the way He treats us, sin after sin, mistake on top of mistake and still entrusts us with His work in the plan of salvation.
Until now, I sit here and shake my head about football.  Eleven people, highly professional, humanly human and laden with weaknesses, trusting one another to do what has to be done to win the prize.  One minute they disappoint and cause despair, then they perform to the level for which they are admired and bring elation.  The lesson here is that they must trust one another if they intend to dominate as a team.  They must bring themselves to accept the occasional foible of one and move on with the assurance that momentary weakness passes and habitual communitarian strength remains.  It takes a special kind of person to survive in that environment, and in many others as well. I will think of this for a while, I am sure.  It really hit me today and I thank God for it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Paul,
    Like you, I watched the game. Normally, I just watch the commercials because I haven't been into sports since I left high school, but because the Green Bay Packers were playing and I am from Wisconsin, I watched the full game. The commercials were not very good; one or two struck a little interest, but the rest were dull and some I couldn't even figure out what they were selling. But I did have an impression regarding the foot ball teams. It always seems to me that when a person or team get so big on themselves, some very hungry enthusiastic little person or underdog comes along and knocks the shit out of the one who was so big on themselves. Every empire seems to have fallen in the same manner! I often wonder when the United States will follow the route of others?
    George

    ReplyDelete