Sunday, November 13, 2011

SADIE HAWKINS DAY

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sadie_Hawkins_Day
There are some of you who don't know Sadie Hawkins.  It was the 4th of November and I was at the morning Mass.  November is a special month in Catholic life.  It is the month during which we remember to pray for our Dearly Departed.  Don't ask me how the human mind works.  Don't even ask me how my mind works.  Don't even ask me why I presume to be human.  So, therefore, do not ask me why I remembered, during these solemn moments, that November 13 is Sadie Hawkins Day.  I saved this until today out of respect to Al Capp, Lil' Abner and, of course, Sadie herself. 
The other day I asked our elder son, Marc if he knew Sadie Hawkins.  He said that he did because there are Sadie Hawkins dances around all the time, even now.  I asked him if he knew who Sadie Hawkins really was,and to that he had to say "no."  If you click on the caption of the picture,you will be sent to the very interesting and very correct report on Wikipedia.
You will notice that the art of this cartoon depicts people in a way that accentuates a culture with stereotypical characterizations unacceptable to our contemporary way of thinking.  In the era when this cartoon hit its zenith, rare was the individual who would have considered this class of humor denigrating or harmful.  Today,of course, this cartoon would fall under the heading of unacceptable profiling and would never be allowed to prosper.  I am presenting it to you because of the "spin-off" reality of Sadie Hawkins, whom very few of us really know any more.  There is a cultural lesson to be learned here.  Therefore, learn it first, and then laugh away, because it is funny, contemporary mores be damned.  By the way, that's a thought of mine for today too.

No comments:

Post a Comment