Tuesday, November 22, 2011

BREAKFAST(S) OF MEMORIES

When I was a boy.
When I was Papa.
When I wake up now.

I remember Pablum left over from my baby siblings.
I remember Quaker Oats.
I remember buttered slices of toasted bread.  Dreikorn's it was mostly.  The local bakery, of course.
I remember Allard's milk.
I remember the milk man, too.  Leo Durand.  A kind of distant relative, he was.
I remember listening to the adventures of the Lone Ranger, Roy Rogers and Gene Autry.  That's where I got to know about Hot Ralston, Wheaties, Kellog's Corn flakes, Shredded Wheat, Cheerios.
Actually,some of the above entered my life through the Shadow, The Green Hornet, Dick Tracy and the Texas Rangers.
I remember buckwheat crepes with real maple syrup.
I also remember Aunt Jemima pancakes with real maple syrup.
I remember fried eggs and bacon with toasted bread.
I also remember that we did not own a pop-up toaster.
I remember Easter Sunday breakfasts with fried ham slices, fried eggs and fried potato slices.
I remember that strawberry preserves were rare.  Welch's Grape Jelly was the daily, and it seemed, forever fare.
I remember that breakfast was ALWAYS eaten at home.

I remember Italian breakfasts.  Fresh bread ["buns" I guess you could call them], simple local cheese and coffee.
This lasted for four years.

I remember Filipino breakfasts.
Dried, salted fish, rice and coffee.
Some fresh bread [Pandesal], butter, preserves and coffee.
Fresh avocado with calamandin and coffee.
Fresh papaya [yellow or pink] with calamandin and coffee.
Sausage, rice and coffee.
Calamandin is a small, lime-like, soft peeled citrus fruit, sour.

I remember when I was Papa breakfasts.
Sausage, rice and coffee.  Quaker oats for the sons.
Toasted bread, peanut butter, strawberry preserves and coffee.  Milk.
Quaker oats all around, coffee for me.
Sunday morning breakfast nook time after Mass.  Great stuff.
Great coffee.

Breakfast now.
Anything edible that I don't have to cook and coffee.
Anti hypertension drugs.  Coffee
Anti gout drugs.  Coffee
Salmon oil capsule.  Coffee

This is almost my entire life.
See how simple it is to be happy.
See how simple it is to live long.
All it takes is COFFEE.

No comments:

Post a Comment