Friday, November 25, 2011

THE DAY AFTER THANKSGIVING, .99c STORE BLACK FRIDAY

Some things that caused me to have some thoughts today.
1. I was bitten by the "clean up your car" bug.  So, out came the vacuum cleaner and the "Crack reacher attachment" and I got to work.  Man, was I ever doing great.  Things got interesting when I go to the trunk.  It was there that I discovered that I didn't have a jack in the trunk!   What?  No Jack!  Where is it?  I can't believe this.  When, in the last seven years did the jack leave the car?  Holy Moley!  That's the bad part.  The good part is that I had two jacks in storage in the shed.  I found the one that was for a car like the one I have and my problem was solved.  Sweeeet!
2. I was also attacked by the fix your garden hose bug.  That was rather easy until I discovered that someone had "touched" my spare parts drawer.  Grrr...  When the boys were young and growing up this really used to get me bunched up in the system.  Today was frustrating because there was no 12 year old youngster around to blame and to jack up [pun intended] my blood pressure.  It took some shuffling around, but I did locate the parts I needed and got the job done.  Super efficiently too, 30 minutes for a ten minute project.
3. The find of the day, pictured here.  While being conquered by the "sweep the Patio" virus, I moved a cardboard box under the bench near the south wall and it had something inside it that clinked.  Hmmm... Naturally, being a curious young dude, I opened the box and much to my surprise I discovered some San Miguel Beer.  Twelve bottles.  Two of them had the clamp-on top of the one on the left.  They were both empty.  The others with the more traditional metal crimped cap still were full.  Upon closer examination I determined that these bottles were in fact direct products of the Philippines and did not have provenance from the United States.  It had to be that a relative or a friend had sneaked them into this country from Manila, all the way back in 1990.  This was the year of the centennial of the existence of the world famous brewery whose home is Manila, Philippines.  The broken label on the neck of the special bottle on the left has the "100" written on it and served as a seal of authenticity during the year of the anniversary and was not exported as such.  The bottle on the right was produced entirely in the Philippines as is clear by the part of the label that cannot be seen in this photo.  The celebratory label with the crowned "100" and the flag waving over it is a sign of when the product came to be.  So, see, it was quite a day.  THEN...
4. I didn't have my camera with me because it was after sundown and I never expected to see anything worthy of my photographical expression.  I had gone to Home Depot and was returning when I saw the store-front of the $0.99 outlet emblazoned with huge lettering "SUPER SALE"
Now, boys and girls, we know that  the global economy is in the tank and just mightily squirming, trying to get out.  If I get the opportunity, I'll stop by there and squint around trying to see just what that means.  I can't help but wonder what the impact on the hard working third world peons will be.  Who knows?  They are perhaps so poor that they have nothing more to lose.

That's it.  My "Black Friday" was a fun day.  I also had the blessing of a nice two hour nap.  A luxury in my life.  
Besides all that, because I am publishing this while the clock is still on the 11/25/2011 side of 12, my electronic accountant is going to credit this production toward the 365.  And that's OK. what the Hay, this coming year I get an extra day to do the same amount of work.  God is good!

1 comment:

  1. There was a song made in the island during those days. It went something like these. Budweiser and San Miguel are full in this Restorante. Bamboo Inn was the name of this place. I recognize the other bottle of San Miguel, the longer one. The were selling them there neck and neck. I thought I read somewhere and it is said that Palau is # 1 or # 2 Budweiser sales place in the world. I suppose you can only fish for so long. Heeee.
    Very funny about that 99cents store Black Friday. How low can you sell a plastic.
    This one may better be able to cook me a dinner. Heeeeee. Thanks for all you write. They really get to me in a very good way.
    Can Jesus say someday, "You did it to me"?
    Try and get up to cut the grass and realized your in-law borrowed the Lawn Moar and have not returned it.
    Swahelees is a lame language to express your feelings.
    Stercus Turorum? is too liturgical.
    How about "bakero"? Ask your Japanese friend what it means if you do not know. Heeeee.
    Justa

    ReplyDelete