Friday, November 25, 2011

IT'S THANKSGIVING -- HEY, TEXT AND DRIVE

I had to put this up the moment I saw it.  It is perfect for the heaviest driving season of the year.  I and my wife once drove through the San Joaquin Valley in Central California at the breakneck stop and go speed of 10 miles per hour.  Yes, boys and girls, 300+ miles on the Sunday after Thanksgiving.  This cartoon is so rich.  Enjoy it.
x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x
Now, this is the hour when the "Bell Tolls."  It is exactly one year since the very first post of this blog came into existence.  It continues.  Different title, same intent.  To keep me thinking and helping you to do the same.  My computer says that this is the 365th post for the blog.  The calendar says that it is November 25, 2011 and that completes a 365 day year.  However, for technical reasons I get credit for fulfilling the quota, but for actual readership purposes, the number is only 363.  So, now that you know that I am a complete failure, you must be saying, "Why continue?"  That's an easy one.  I still have a lot to say.  I still have something different enough just about every day to keep you interested.  I still have enough autobiography left for my children to discover that I have to continue.  I have some plans for future "Thoughts" that will serve to rattle your cages a little bit as well.  Since I am fond of cage rattling, I can't stop this while I'm planning so much fun.
Let me kick this off with one that happened today.


When is the last time you had a "silent discussion" with your spouse?  Mine was today.  It was short.  There was no "winner."  It makes for good telling.
We're going to the Thanksgiving dinner.  We get off the highway, go toward the bottom of the ramp and see, off to the left, a tall, thin, mustachioed mendicant.  Immediately Belle [I am honoring her request to stop referring to  her as the "Voice from the Kitchen.] says, "Do you have something for him?"
I saw two things that did not resonate with her. 1* The light was about to turn in my favor.  2* The man had a small dog on a leash.
My retort: "If he can afford to feed his dog, he doesn't need my money.  After he eats his dog, I'll contribute."  SILENCE.  Oh yeah.  It lasted about five minutes.  It ended in a nice, concessionary tone expressing sympathy for our ailing #2 son that we had to leave at home.  During the silence, I could hear her disagreeing with me, but I think she had also come to the factual observation that by the time we had reached his position by the side of the road the light was green.  So an eleemosynary act under those conditions would have been inappropriate at best and stupid, at worst.  So, in the end, it makes for a cute story with a happy ending.  Besides, I'll make it up to God by doubling the next one.
A good start to the new batch of "365 Thoughts."
Have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment