Monday, November 7, 2011

EDUCATION BY INTERVIEW

I had a powerful insight about how some people come to their wisdom.  I do not have the desire to describe nor to define "wisdom" here.  I just want to point out how some people come to a point of having a great volume of information and a very powerful ability of making it create wonderful intellectual and even emotional conclusions.
I do not know why, but I was impressed by the command of facts that the biographer of Steve Jobs had of his subject and of the environment that had shaped the life of the subject.  I was also moved by the breadth of knowledge shown by the autobiographer.  He was not just wise about Steve Jobs but he showed a wisdom uncommon for the majority of people who appear on television.  I couldn't help but think that much of his wisdom had been infused into him by the dedication that he had applied to any number of biographies that he had produced.  It is of course logical that anyone who would undertake the task of writing biographies would come to know many things about life.  After all, learning what others think about the way they have lived their life cannot help but fill the interviewer with a wealth of information about such a mysterious subject.  But deeper than information [data] is the wisdom that it generates, both in the subject of the interview and in the attentive interviewer.  I am happy that I paid more attention to learning about the biographer than I did trying to learn anything more than what I already knew about Steve Jobs.  I must say that in my opinion, the biographer is an admirable human being.  Much more so than Steve Jobs.  All I ever knew and thought about Steve Jobs is contained on the cover of his biography.  The title, "Steve Jobs."
Allow me to give you a little suggestion from the bundle of thoughts that I am trying to keep in logical order here.  if you want to know something about a person of interest to you, go to Google, click on "Images" and search for the biography or the autobiography of the person.  Note the title.  In my opinion, if the title is eponymous, just as the title "Steve Jobs" is, don't bother reading it.   You've already got everything you want to know.  If it has an intriguing descriptive title, that's the one you want to pick up.  It is my contention that if the person being interviewed by the writer in view of producing a biography cannot encapsulate his/her life in five words or less, the biography is not worth reading [nor writing, for that matter].  [That goes for autobiographies too.]
It is therefore my contention that there is a lot to be learned through interviewing people for biographies.  It can make a wise person of the one who pays attention to the craft.  I'll bet it can even make a wise person of the one who prepares the production of an autobiography with diligence and pure honesty.
Oh, by the way, in case you haven't noticed yet, I have the right to hold my opinion about how to entitle life stories.  My whole life is encapsulated in the participial phrase, "No Crying at my Funeral."  Go ahead, Google it under "Images."  You'll enjoy yourself.  Then, you won't have to read the book.


No comments:

Post a Comment