Saturday, November 26, 2011

I AIN'T HAD A THOUGHT NOW FER 24 'OWARS

Za matter a fack, I think if'n I had one, I cain't 'member it no how.
If anybody talks like that, it shore as shootin' ain't me.
An' if anybody talks like that, t'ain't no way 't kin be me neither.
Now, that might sound like an exaggeration, but somewhere out there is a person or two who can communicate in that style.  The only place I have even come close to that kind of communication in English is in the movies.  I do have to say that I did come across the close relative of that kind of  speech in France.  The interesting part of that experience is that I could understand it and my French colleagues could not.  There are some things that surpass the boundaries of our world.  Here are a couple of examples.
This is a direct quote from a comment on the "365..."
How about "bakero"? Ask your Japanese friend what it means if you do not know. Heeeee.
My comment back was, "Why would I ask a Japanese the meaning of a Spanish word?"
She writes back, "Are you completely sure?  The Japanese used to say that on Palau all the time."
Sure looks to me like I have to get some help from that linguist PhD again. I'm sure he'll say something smokin' smart like, "It's a mystery to me, Bubba."  Ouch!  Smile, Kevin.  'F'ya don't treat me good, I won't babysit ya no more."  
On a more serious note, I decided that I would, in fact, send an email to my blogging Japanese friend and ask him if he can help with this expression as used by the Japanese soldiers during the occupation of Palau.  I mentioned to my friend from Palau that the Japanese had perhaps heard it in Portuguese occupied Macao and were using it as an insult against the locals on Palau.  This kind of stuff happens.  
I promise that I will let you know what I find out about this.  I just know that you are all fidgeting with frenetic anxiety about  this intriguing reality.
Finally, I have to tell you that in thinking of the Japanese, I  thought of my dear friend G. Woodworth.  I haven't heard from him in nearly three weeks and I used to get at least five emails from him every day.  He's not Japanese, and it's a long story.  Someday, if you behave, I'll recount it to you.  For now, do me a favor and hold your breath.  OK?
Thanks.


No comments:

Post a Comment