Sunday, November 20, 2011

MYSTERY OF LANGUAGE AND MUSIC

 I did this because I was thinking about the mystery of language and music the other day.  It's not a big mystery, I guess, but I do think about it now and then.  I wonder if there is a language technician somewhere in the world that I am going to meet one day.  During our conversation, that individual will be able to take the mystery about which I am going to write, out of my life.  During our conversation, the mystery will be turned into complete intellectual understanding.
Consider the different sounds of languages.  Consider that there are languages with practically no hills and valleys in their accentuation.  These are the languages where you can never put the accent on the wrong syllable.  Then there are languages where the accents add a lot to the meaning of the words spoken.  There are languages that have a lot of twisted tongue involvement.  Some have accents and tones too.  Some need to have the speaker put some throat stops into the sections of certain words.  I suppose I could go on, but I trust  that by now you get the point.  It is an introduction to the mystery of language and music.  It struck me the other day that although there are some languages that to some people may sound strange, and even unpleasant to hear, some languages come across as fluid and pleasant to the ear.  Even to the person to whom they mean absolutely nothing.  Now, after all that, I ask, <Why is it that every language has the ability to produce sweet music?>  Good grief, even the German language has sweet music, much of it admired internationally.  We've all heard the famous World War II bar song about Lily Marlene, right?  Oh, and by the way there is also a very sweet bar song that came out of Japan during that self-same war.  What about the famous Tagalog song, Dahil Sa iyo [Because of You].  What about Olivia Newton John?  Or the Beatles? Or Tom Jones?  Did you ever hear them speak during an interview?  What happens to their Cockney when they sing?  What about Celine Dion, my almost relative?  Or, for those of you old enough to remember, what about Maurice Chevalier?  
You all know that there has to be a mystery there somewhere.  It struck me the other night because I was listening to the National Public Radio station and the featured music was Norwegian love songs.  I was blown away.  Such sweetness!  I couldn't understand a word, but I was floating in air.  It struck me then that I would perhaps never understand what was happening, but as long as it was so beautiful, I would continue believing in it.
That's the way it is with mysteries.  As long as you enjoy them, you don't have to understand them.  We are surrounded by many such realities.  Some we embrace, some we reject.  Some attract us because of their ability to draw us into thinking that we would unlock them someday.  Some draw us to them because we like them just for what they are.  We feel no need to understand them as long as we can continue to enjoy them.  One way or the other, and maybe some more in between, I think that it is a good thing that I don't understand every little and big thing that accompanies me through life.  Not only would that make it impossible for you to live with me, it would be impossible for ME to live with ME.  Now that you know that about me, you have no reason to cry at my funeral.  If you did, THAT would be a mystery.

2 comments:

  1. I did not know the words and the meaning of the
    song Dahil Sayo, but when I first heard it I felt every notes in it. It almost spoke to my heart and so you are right. It really does not matter what language a song maybe for you to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Paul,

    I asked a linguist about your interesting question. He read it, and here's what he had to say.
    "That is interesting. Music and language remains a mystery even to linguists and musicians." :-)

    Sent by Kevin Wiliarty, PhD
    Take care, love, Emelie
    P.S. Happy Thanksgiving
    Sent from my iPad

    ReplyDelete