Monday, December 19, 2011

YAP DOES NOT EQUAL "YES"

I just want to share a humorous experience with you.  It has brought me to more knowledge of  Micronesia, a protectorate of the US in the area of the Philippines, Indonesia and Japan and Guam, etc.  If you click here you can explore a little bit of the territory in photographic form as well as in some written information.
Here is the exchange that I want to tickle your funny bone with and introduce to you the reason why I am sending you to Micronesia.

Here is what I wrote in an email to you last night:



By the way [2] My friend from Palau [Pacific Islands, near Bikini, believe or not tells me that they answer the telephone with "Kabong", let me hear it."
The natives of this part of the world can't wear bikinis.  You've heard the expression, "Two axe handles across the fantail?"  That's Palauans.  MuuMuu country!
Well, the file has now uploaded, so I'm off to find comfort in the arms of my dear Morpheus.

Well, Justa, from Palau, also an independent country, island protectorate of the US, part of the Micronesian Archipelago makes a comment in reaction to the italicized sentence at the bottom of my email.

You are right  about Palauan attire.  In the earlier centuries, Palauans wore grass-skirts.  From the bell button up can be exposed.  From the bell botton down, not a chance in hell.  Yapese are still doing it.  Palauans wear clothes now. but in the earlier centuries they were almost naked as Adam and Eve.  How was the weather in The Garden of Eden at that time, one wonders.  Ever seen a girl riding a motorcycle with nothing on top and wearing grasskirt?  That would be Yap.  Right now as we speak.  What s that phrase, cant mix old wine with new.  In Yap you can.  HOw 's this for a Sunday Matinee. 

Now, if that didn't make you smile, you must be dead...totally lifeless.
 
When I get these private email responses, I always sit back and really enjoy every syllable.  I have been having a little discussion with another reader that is really interesting as well, but needs to ferment a little more before it is ready for consumption.  In fact, I have watered it a little bit to see if it can keep itself from getting to 140 proof too quickly, if at all.
I got one the other day that looked like this.  I warn you, this is not a quote.  This is an off the wall example of some verisimilitude.
YO! BRO!  DA MOONLIGHT DRIPPIN' ALL OVER YA?
GETCHA SOME NEW GLOB MATERIAL RITE KWIK.  BEST TO DA DOC.
Yep.  No, not YAP.  I wish it were.  I know that my friend who does this to me is going t write me and say, "Hey, why you stealing my material, and my style?  You didn't ask me if I would let you plagiarize me."  

Then there's the other friend of mine with whom I have been having an email relationship for well over six years now, who the other night at the witching hour of 12:45 AM reacted to a response that I had made to a comment  on the ParishWorld.net blog, Burning Question with a rousing, "bravo!"
Boys and girls, I do not make this stuff up.  I just tell the story.  I tell you, I have never had so much fun in all my life.  For free!

You all think that this is all I do all day.  Actually, that's not true.  But I can't get into that right now because I try to keep myself alive by getting a little bit of sleep now and then.  So that's next on the agenda.  
I'm debating with myself as to whether or not I should be serious for you tomorrow.

I hope you are enjoying the PowerPoint stuff.  You have to admit that it is not too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment