Thursday, December 22, 2011

I'M A LITTLE TEAPOT

LISTEN TO THE SONG IF YOU WANT, JUST CLICK HERE
O)H N(0, I actually forgot the words.  I hate to say it but today when, out of the blue I tried to sing this little song to Belle while we were preparing for our tea time, I forgot the words.  It makes you wonder how many more things you've forgotten.  Of course, you'll never know because if you've forgotten, then you won't think of them anyway.  It is all the more disturbing because is is the first song that I remember learning in the English language.  It makes me think that the one who taught it to me must be really perturbed.  She must be turning over in her box, frustrated that not only could she not teach me to sing, I even forgot the one little ditty that I could do reasonably well with.  Oh yeah,  I can hear it all now.  I don't have to get explicit.  Those of you who knew her, know what I'm up against.  Those of you who didn't know her, just think of the spinster aunt you had and vicariously live this moment with me.  Good.  Just come along for the ride.  I was all the more embarrassed today because I was even making all the gestures that you learn to do when you're a child.  You see, when you get old enough to be alone in the house with your intimate other, you can do a lot of things that you would never do otherwise.  But I blew it because I forgot the words.  So, I'm thinking that the spinster is also having her moment of joy because of my discomfiture.  I'll ask her when I get to the Pearly Gates.
The cap to all of this is that about a month ago I was singing the first song that I learned in my entire life.  I haven't forgotten the words to THAT one.  It must be that you forget a foreign language faster than you forget your native tongue.  Now this is the perfect picture for this second part of the thought.  When I started to look for the "Claire de Lune" I started arguing with myself because I had learned how to sing my siblings to sleep by listening to my mother sing her version of Berceuse by Chopin.  When my eyes fell on this picture, it was a perfect coincidence because both symbols are perfectly joined.  Besides, that baby there is so cute that it must be me.  Somewhere in here, you can check it out.  I'm not going to go fish it out for you.  But actually the song that I was singing last month was "Au Clair de la Lune."  This is a French folk song from the 18th century.  Just a couple of days before I was born.  It is famous because it is one of those "French as a second language" fixtures that everyone learns.  You can hear it here.
Finally, one last dip of the pen.  [Oops, that tells you how old I am.]  The first song that most missionaries who go to the northern part of the Philipines learn is also about the moon.  So of course, I know that one too.  Here it is.  I will tell you that it is not "cute."  So I will spare you the translation.
So there you have it.  Music, music, music.

No comments:

Post a Comment