Sunday, December 11, 2011

SCIENTIFIC QUESTION I HAD AT 10 YEARS OLD OR SO

You're not going to believe the simplicity of this question.  I discovered that it is possible to remove a hard object, such as a glass of water or a glass bottle from a hard surface, silently,  without too much of a problem.  The reverse though, I found, was nearly impossible.  Every time I tried to put a glass down on the sink or the coffee table or the night table in my room, there was always a noise that came out of the action.  I practiced.  Every chance I got, I tried to make a silent landing of a hard object on to a hard surface.  I tried everything.  I tried money, everything from silver dollars to aluminum pennies.  I tried drinking glasses, coffee cups, plates on the table, utensils like knives and forks, all to no avail.  There was always a sound that was produced when I placed a hard object on to a hard surface.  My question went deeper than that.  I wondered why it was noisy in one direction and silent in the other.  I was still too young to figure it out.  I was trying to figure out why it was that Dagwood Bumstead would remove his shoes when he came home very late, yet Blondie would always discover him.  Not only that, when he got up in the middle of night and went to the kitchen to raid the icebox, she would catch him at that too.  In my very young mind, I would always go back to the conviction that it was impossible to be noiseless when you walk because you have to keep putting at lease one foot down on the floor.   Since I had been incapable to solve the question on my own, I asked EFR Dion and what he said helped, but at the same time, did not put me at ease.  He said that it was a law of nature.  He said something about friction, but I knew about friction being a phenomenon that explained rubbing one thing against another, but in fancy language.
Now the kicker...I still have my moments with this law of nature.  I still practice putting something down on a hard surface without causing a sound.  It is wasted mental and physical effort these days because I don't have as much hand/eye, fine detail coordination as I used to.  You can also tell that I haven't matured much either.  You know, Men!  They grow old but they don't grow up.  Oh well, I be one.

No comments:

Post a Comment