Thursday, December 8, 2011

UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT --- YELLOW FLAG --- TEAM GOES HOME

I have to report on this story because there is something in my memory that has never gone away.  I have been told many a time to let go, but even if I let go, the thought doesn't leave.  I don't get upset about it any more, but I did for a long time.  Several decades ago I was able to leave the emotional reaction aside, but the memory comes back, with or without prodding.  I was having a good Summer in baseball.  I was playing on two winning teams with two groups of guys who were really fun to be with.  I don't know if they were fun because we were winning or if they were fun, period.  I do know that I am still close to one of two of them, so there is still something left.  Then came the round robin playoffs.  We actually beat a pitcher who was way above our capabilities, but on this one evening, we prevailed.  Then it on to the second round.  We got to the venue and our shortstop did not show.  Some of us had to play out of position.  Our pitcher was not on his game, but he was fancy footing it and doing all right.  We actually headed into the last inning ahead.  Then it happened.  I made the ereror that opened the flood gates and we were out of the round robin.   The story that brings all this back is the one that underlines this photo.   You can find it here.  The kid did something that he knows he should not do according to high school rules.  So he got whistled and did not get the score that would have won the game for his team.
This fellow will live it down.  He will go on to a productive life.  He will do all the things that other people do, and do them well.  Quarterbacks, even in high school are generally intelligent as well as agile.  He'll do all right, but I will assure you of one thing.  He will never outlive the memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment