Thursday, December 29, 2011

ARE YOU IN FAVOR OF KEEPING THE USPS

Has the mail come yet?  Just a sec, I'll go look.  No, not yet.  Must be late today.  Maybe a sub doing the route.
I have to make a couple of little remarks about the mail service that we have here in the United States.  I hope you don't hold it against me, but I have to remind you that it is said that mail service was invented by the Chinese, many, many centuries ago.  Now isn't that refreshing news?  Besides aesthetic explosive devices, they have given us the dud that we know as the US Mail...and now we even have fe-mail carriers.  I wonder if the Chinese invented that too.  Those are some jobs that they've outsourced to us!
I call it the dud because it hasn't figured out how to make a profit yet.  You'd think that after all these years that is one little problem that someone could have solved.  Oh, well.  I guess we'll just have to keep knocking on wood and keeping our fingers crossed that the "Forever Stamps" we bought yesterday will outlast the existence of the US Post Office.  Seriously, you have to admit that the last time you bought some of these "Forever Stamps" you swore that you would one day buy 100 of them and keep them for 25 years just to test the system.  You have to admit, it is a tempting thought.
But that's not what I thought about this time.  I found out that there are different rates for international mail, depending on weight, size and country of destination.  Huh?  I found out, for instance that for a first class letter between Brazil and Argentina there is a $0.04 difference in the rate.  Between France and Spain the difference is $0.02.  Can you figure this out?  All this stuff goes on the same plane that takes tons, I repeat, tons of un-weighed baggage and four cents is going to make a make-or-break difference to the USPS?  Who thinks of this stuff?  If anyone of you can give me a common sense, intelligent answer, I'm willing to listen.  [Despite the fact that common sense and intelligence don't necessarily go together.]
I want to end this by one more thought that I expressed in another blog not too long ago.  I think that one way to make a profit at the USPS would be to do nothing but deliver domestic mail for a flat Fifty cents for every single piece of mail, bulk or single family.  No breaks to anyone, not even to senator Dhiepittenstirkhous.
Finally, delivery will be made on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday only.  All of this to be gradually introduced to be finalized by fiscal year 2013.  Take it or leave it America.
"Quid dixi, dixi."

No comments:

Post a Comment