Friday, December 30, 2011

A BETTER MOUSE TRAP?

Are you kidding me?  Somebody actually claims to have invented the better mouse trap?  That has to be the height of arrogance!  There is only one measure of the efficacy of a mouse trap.  You can't get any better than quick and irreversible death.  So I cannot imagine that there can be any gradation of good, better and best when it comes to mouse traps. Yet, the other day I was on my way out of Home Depot and right  there by the cash register was a relatively large display of what was being hawked as the best mouse tap.  It got my attention, as you can readily see by the picture on the right of your screen.  This gorgeous pair of shiny white mouse traps set me back 3.29 before tax.  The sales tax in San Diego, California is an astounding .0825.  So you can do the math.  It comes out to somewhere in the neighborhood of $3.60.  I fell for it because I had the immediate thought that I would write to you about it.  Why?  Here's why.
When I was growing older [remember that males never "grow up."] there was a saying that went something like, "If you want to be rich, go invent a better mouse trap."  It was also applied to people who thought that were smarter than anybody and everybody else.  "If you're so smart, why haven't you invented a better mouse trap?"  Just like for everything else that you've ever read here, I am not making this up.  Those of you who were around when this was being said, can vouch for me.  I know you will if the occasion arises.  All this aside, I have these two fetching little mouse traps sitting on my work table.  I have been wanting to take a picture, but I found myself away from my work area with nothing better to do, so I decided to scan the package in which they came and let you figure out the rest.  Besides, if you go to Google, you can see the picture there.
You know what?  I just saved you 15 minutes.  I had to go through 100 pages of Google pictures to find this.  This must be one good mouse trap if even Google doesn't show it right up front.  But here it is.  And you know what?  I have two of these beauts sitting right there on my work desk.  Man, am I blessed or what?
XOXOXOXOXOXOXO
This is almost the last day of the year.  Most of you will be reading this on the last day.  The real milestone here is that this is the 400th time I address you in this environment.  I guess that I can say that this has been a life changing moment for me.  If you take time to read the banner at the head of the page, you'll see the way it all got started.  I started blogging seriously about 6 years ago.  It was serious then, and I guess I might consider that to be the start of a new life.  Maybe I should tell you about it one of these days.  It has been a good time and I intend to make a big deal out of it on my next birthday.  So this will be a rather good year, if I live that long.  If you are curious enough, you can go sniff at the very first serious  blog post I ever published by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment