Wednesday, December 7, 2011

3D STEREOGRAMS -- CAR STEREOS


Now I am here to confuse you all.  This is my day. I am going to wring it out of you all.  This is going to be so terribly convoluted that you won't recover for a few days, at least.  It is all about growing up and while you're on the way along the road of life, all these new things are presented to you and you have to decide whether or not to like them.  Sometimes, just as you are so accustomed to the "new" realities that they become a part of your life.  Something happens that makes you think of what I am doing now.  Having fun ambling down memory lane.
How many of you remember the introduction of the FM radio?  Oh, it was a big deal at first, even if no one really knew what it was.  I remember EFR Dion saying, "It's just a different radio."  OK.  We all knew AM and we knew short wave.  We didn't know FM.  Then as it grew, as young people we were not interested in listening, not even despite the fact that they had no commercials.  That's right.   All they had on was music for old people.  The technology was so young that they couldn't get anyone to buy air time.  As we all know, it grew and then the miracle happened.  Just as we thought that the only stereophonic instrument was the phonograph, along came stereophonic FM.  WOW!  Then, in cars too.  Be honest now, when is the last time you thought about the "Miracle" of stereophonic radio in your car?  For me it was yesterday.  Know why?  I was listening to the classical radio station as I always do.  It so happened that Wynton Marsalis was on his horn huffing and puffing and I was half enthralled and half driving.  I'm at a light on a multi lane access to the freeway.  I'm to the right and there is no one yet on my left.  Green.  Go!  I'm holding my line when all of a sudden I here this low wail in my left (good) ear.  "OOhhh, stercus," I say, and I break out in an instantaneous sweat and look to my right for an escape.  In the 1.5 seconds that it took for all of this to happen, Marsalis starts coming out of both speakers at the same time.  Let me tell you, it's a good thing that I have a sense of humor.  I haven't marveled at the "miracle" of FM stereophonic sound in decades.  So do you think that someone was trying to tell me something?  
This stereo business has come a long way.  If you want to have some fun, click the link below and see stereo on a flat page without having to wear 3d glasses.  This link will bring you to a set of pictures that have embedded other pictures floating in them.  When I first saw this, I was saying to myself that this would never make any money for anyone...but then I remembered FM and now I am not so sure any more.  I don't know how anyone makes money from it, except by making them and selling the books, but I suppose that that is an honest way to make a living.  So, anyway, here is the link.  Go have fun.  
3D STEREOGRAMS | Sphere:
'via Blog this'

I suppose that there are many things like this in life.  I am on to this one today.  The others are out there somewhere.  You can be sure that the 3rd world kids we talked about yesterday don't know much about them.  But then, neither do we.  Hey, ya know who I just thought of?  Buck Rodgers!  Lemme go look it up for ya.  Oh Boy!  Look what I found.  # 2, July 1941.  I'll bet we could have fun finding out how many technical things we take for granted now that Buck never even thought would exist before January 2,500.  I'll bet he never thought of stereographic photos.
I remember Dick Tracy with the wrist radio.  It didn't even have pictures on it!  Boy, are we ever spoiled.  Hey, I'm going to bed.  There's a lot here for you to play with.  Enjoy.

Buck Rogers #2 (Eastern Color, July 1941)

1 comment:

  1. My dad invented the first tapioka grinder in Palau using electricity. He could have owned a patent maybe. My mom used it for a while. Our neighbor brought 2 baskets of tapioka to grind. The wire I guess all the time was faulty. She got mildly electrocuted and that was the end of that invention. No one ever picked it up.
    Maybe the foreigners did. Last time I was there I ate the cooked product but never wondered how they did it. I did not see mass production so they might still be doing it manually. Not very adventurous people are we. What is that saying?
    "Necessity is the mother of invention"? I guess no need. Eat the dang root straight. Heeeeeeeee.
    Justa

    ReplyDelete