Friday, December 16, 2011

"AMATEUR" SPORTS IN COLLEGE & UNIVERSITY

This article got started because of a simple little thought that I once had in my younger years. In fact, I had this thought when I was 18 years old.  I was one year away from college level education while my best friend had already moved on to Holy Cross College in Worcester, Massachusetts. [say that fast 3 times in a row]
He was what I considered to be a good basketball player.  When I saw him during Christmas break I asked him if he had gone out for the basketball team at Holy Cross.  The look of disgust on his face was a surprise to me. He just simply said that it wasn't that easy in college.  The conversation went on to other things and I remained in my state of total, I mean total ignorance about how to get on the team in college.  In fact, truth to tell, I'll bet that most of my ignorance about this subject is what falls into the category of invincible ignorance.  I am in real deep trouble when I find myself thinking about college and sports.  I am sure that most people would call my situation innocence, but I am not innocent, just invincibly ignorant.  I can't figure out why athletes have to lie about the fact that they are in a school with an A-1 law department when all they are being taught is how to play a given sport.  Why does the school lie about it.  Just say, these people are here being taught how to play "xyz" sport on the professional level.  We cover their expenses while they are here as remuneration for their ability to attract big money through their athletic prowess.  Am I wrong in thinking that honesty at this level is more morally acceptable than what we have now?  If we just said that openly, it would explain why people who attended "xyz university" still can't speak grammatical English in an interview.  I'll bet the real reason is that if it were said that way the IRS would get involved. Oh-Oh!
I guess my invincible ignorance revolves around the unshakable conviction that I have that participating in sports is integral to achieving a completely well-rounded education.  You know, the age-old axiom "mens sana in corpore sano." [A healthy mind in a healthy body]  That's what sports in school is intended to do.  I am convinced that better doctors are made if they are given the opportunity to bash heads on the athletic field before boring holes in the crania of trusting patients.  Of course, these people will not support the billion dollar business of Notre Dame Football by cavorting around the athletic field for a couple hours after Mass on a Sunday afternoon.  So, that's my take on this whole thing.   
Right about now, you are saying to yourself, "This old man is not only invincibly ignorant, he is completely MAD, and it isn't even March yet!"
So, get even with me by not crying at my funeral.

No comments:

Post a Comment