Sunday, January 1, 2012

HOW MANY WAYS CAN YOU GET A YEAR OLDER?OLDER

I always ask myself this question at this time of the year.  It is an especially interesting question because on the surface it sounds so silly.  Yet, if you allow yourself some freedom of thought you can have some fun with it.  There are actually several answers to it.  Really.  Sit back, relax and bear with me.
1. Easy one.  Every day that you live, you get one year older because then every day is the one year anniversary of the same day last year.  That is, if you've already lived at least one year already.
2. Easier.  Easier because all you have to do is to count your birthday and New Year's Day as one each.
3. Easy, but tricky.  It requires that you be Chinese.  You have your birthday; You have the Gregorian calendar New Year's Day; You also have Chinese New Year.
4. Not so easy, but faster.  You are born on December 31.  So that's two years in a 24 hour span.  Not bad.  You may want to revert to # 1 so you'd have more to celebrate.
5. Horrible.  Your born on New Year's Day.  If you're a party hound, you have to do something about getting yourself a system.  Otherwise, you'll be short on the celebrations and you'll be sober all the time.  Bummer!  Of course, you could always adopt # 1.
6. Real tricky.  If you're rich, you could play games with the International Date line.  Like some of you who are reading this from Siberia.  Always cross the Date line in the direction that helps you celebrate more.  In leap years you can reverse your travel by going the other way to keep things a little more in your favor.  In fact, if you work and live far enough east of the Date line, you would have many opportunities to compensate, depending on whether or not you like to party.
7. Not only Real Tricky, but over the moon expensive.  Get on a super fast space ship and whip around the ole blue ball at 27,000 MPH's for five years.  You, ll never get old.  Then you can go to #1 to make up for lost time.
I'll bet you think I made this up.  I can honestly say that I did not.  I have actually had some version of this study swirling around in my gourd for some years now.  This, after all, is serious stuff.  I mean, I'm still on the quest for finding out how to reverse that whole trend of find how to celebrate more because it means that you're getting closer to ,,, Hummm, what was that again?
My two sons (oops, Mama's not going to like that) -- OUR two sons have an interesting thing going...For one month every year they are the "same" age.  We hear about it every single year.  So, not you know that I did not make any of this stuff up.  It's a true life, lived experience.
I could go on with my experiences of telecommuting across all kinds of time zones, but I'll spare it for when I will come up with another writer's block!
I've been sitting on it now for years!

No comments:

Post a Comment