Sunday, January 22, 2012

WHY DO I DO THIS? -- POURQUOI? -- PERCHE? -- APAY? -- BAKIT?


"Here is the fax with signature affixed.  If you have any further needs or requirements that involve my intervention, you may use the information that you already have on hand.
If there is a problem with this transmission, feel free to call me at
(555) 555-9999."
       ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!     


That quote at the top is exactly what I wrote on a fax that I sent this morning.  It is quite close to the exact same thing that I usually write on a fax cover sheet.  I don't want to deflect the blame for this, but, just about every fax that I receive has the same sentiment/directions on the cover sheet from the sender.  Now come on.  What do I intend to accomplish with this high falutin language that I know can have absolutely no good result because it is an invitation to do something that can repair something about which  nothing can be done.  If there is a problem with the transmission, who is going to know?  What if the problem is that the result can't be read?  What if the problem is that the fax never made it across the great divide?  Isn't it like saying in a voice mail, "If this is the wrong number don't bother to call back?"  I've done that.  Raise your hand, if you're honest enough, if you've done it too.  Actually, when you get right down to the nitty-gritty of the question, why do I send out these messages with a great big, bold cover sheet heading saying exactly what it is that is laying there?  If a message comes across the wire and is spit out by the funny looking machine across the room, you know, the fax machine?   Am I calling you a nincompoop by reminding you what is that you're there for?  Or am I afraid that at your age you might be tempted to think that it is a ticker-tape from your tel-ex apparatus?  In case you think that that sounds stupid, let me remind you of the huge ruckus that was raised when some years ago an entrepreneurial guy in a black suit in San Diego was advertising, "Delivery of your message to New York in one hour.  $25.00 dollars."  I'm not kidding.  Someone took him to court for advertising that he was going to have to break the speed limit to do that.  Another Dufuss sued him for advertising something that was patently impossible.
I guess the moral of the story is that we all have our weaknesses.  In fact, it is perhaps the truth that we all have some chinks in our logic wall.  It's easier to admit it than to loose sleep  over it.  Oh, and talking about sleep...

2 comments:

  1. Really Good !!! from an older Nincompoop !!!
    Guess Which One !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you kidding? I my age I have to guess where the house biffy is, and even then, I'm only batting about .150! It's a good thing that I'm batting .850 for the back door!

    ReplyDelete