Sunday, January 29, 2012

BRAINSTORM -- CULTURE -- BEAUTY

Hello.  I am in the middle of a constant brainstorm since last night...actually about 18 waking hours now.  I am still being besieged by this cerebral violence.  So far it has not brought on a headache, but it is playing tricks with my emotional state.  All I can think about is "doing something" but I don't have the foggiest idea where to start.   So what I did then was to choose a picture that would be close enough to my entangled state and still have a dose of aesthetics to it.  Beauty is an important inducer of inner peace.  I sought out a piece that was beautiful in a different way.  I did not want to have something symmetrical.  You see, I am not a great champion of symmetry.  Those of you who have been around a while, know this about me.  I admire beauty such as it is found in nature.  Nature does not present its beauty in symmetry.  Don't go outside to check it out.  Look at the person you've been married to for the last century.  Is that person perfectly symmetrical?  Of course not.  Is that person beautiful?  Of course.  
So.   I chose this picture because the artist is not a symmetricist.  Right now, my coconut is so far out of symmetry that it is approaching disharmony, or discord.  I have competing things to do and I have competing satisfactions that I want to continue to enjoy before I straighten out my mind.  Trouble is, I don't have enough time to  sit back and enjoy it.  So, I am taking the time to let you know that you are not the only one to whom this happens.  Life gets out of symmetry often.  Like now for some of us.  We have a friend who has just died.  We know that there are many people in grief over this.  We also know that many of those same people have not been in our lives for a long time.  We think of the good times we had together.  We wonder if this is an appropriate time to talk about them.  We wonder if these same people have the same outlook on dying and living that we do.  We strive to be ourselves and at the same time we strive to practice what our culture drives us to do.  We seek symmetry of calm and we have a heard time finding it.  I do what I do.  I find a whacko painting and strive to see the beauty that the artist wanted me to see and it calms me down.  It doesn't get my work done, but it does make me feel more quiet. (:-)
Let me leave you with this, in an attempt to make you feel better...In the last five days I have three friends who have died and two more who have developed some nasty health problems.  All of this across the globe.  Madgascar, France, Philippines, New England.  Just as there are jokes that do not cross cultural lines, I'm here to tell you that neither do the rituals of expressing emotions in the great changes that we suffer in life.  The results are all the same.  The personal emotions and their expressions are not.  Whooo...all that and Chinese New Year too!
Now, I have to see if I can start what I have to finish by 
Tuesday, 9:00 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment