Wednesday, January 25, 2012

AFFW

There are certain things in life that just grow on you.  The above four letters represent something that has grown on me.  It started in my mind some 10 or 12 years ago and now has been an intimate part of me for the last 8 years.  It is impossible for me to tell you the whole story in 500 words, but bear with me while I tell you something about myself with regards to the reality behind the Adult Faith Formation Week.
At the beginning there was the idea that I heard about while living the San Francisco Bay Area.  A church there would have a series of four or five presentations about Catholic Life specially aimed at adults.  They would have one talk per week and then have a similar event the next year.  I thought that it was a very neat idea and I let it simmer inside of me for a long time.  We then moved to Southern California and the pastor of our new parish wanted to make life more vibrant for the faithful who frequented the church.  So, we approached him with the idea that we would organize a series of presentations on the Catholic life style tailored to adults and it would be once per year over at least five straight days.  We would find speakers and presenters of high caliber and invite the faithful to come and revivify their Christian attitudes.  He said yes.  Since we are in southern California it made sense to schedule it for the Winter time after the football season.  All we had to worry about was that it might rain a night or two, but we didn't let that stop us.  So far, in 8 years we have had some bitter cold weather (low 50's F, once) and only about three rainy nights.   
From the very beginning we told the pastor that the campus had to be totally dedicated to this one event, totally, 100%.  He agreed and backed us up.  We said that he had to make space in the religious education (faith formation) schedule of the grammar school age children for the week off.  We would then tell the parents that they were the ones who should now come to the church for their faith growth.
We had no idea what was going to happen.    Now we know.  The first year we had about 600 to 700 full week total participants.  Not it's well over 1,000 and people are beginning to come from farther and farther away.  Naturally, I have to keep coming up with attractive speakers and challenging subjects about Catholic Life Style.  This year, we already have four days under our belt.  [Sunday through Wednesday] and we are already well over 1,000 people.  Belle and I have had short nights now since after New Years.  I keep telling the pastor to look for my replacement.  He says "yes" but...  I keep telling everybody that an organ grinder's monkey could do this, and all I get back is, "Uh,unh."   Than I get to this stage of the event and I am already two weeks into developing my theme and my plan for next January.  I tell you, I'm crazy!  The Voice from the Kitchen [she hates when I call her that] keeps telling me that I have to continue doing it because God cured me two years ago and she promised God that I would keep doing this.  SHE promised!  What about me?  "Well, you were too sick so I did it for you."  Yikes!
You know what?  I love it.  It has become a part of me.  You see, friends and neighbors, you have to be careful what you volunteer for.  It just might kidnap your life.  Take you over, snap! just like that.  So, that's why I missed publishing yesterday.  I was simply too wiped out.  You deserve to know what's going on.  That's what it is.  if any of you have plans to be in Southern California next year, let me know.  The AFFW will be held from January 20 through 26.  If you have anything you want to offer to the fine people of St. Christopher Church, let me know.  You'll have the privilege of being one of 26 - 30 excellent individuals who gladly come to share their innermost convictions with us pro-bono.
I think that's why no one else wants to do this job.  It's not impossible.   I got a guy from Massachusetts to swing by here during his vacation this year.  I told him, "Hey, you're going to be on vacation anyway.  Come and visit Moreno Valley while you're at it. "  He did.  True, it took more than a year to make it happen, but it worked.  BTW, the people ate him up too.  I know because the Good Faith Tip Jar had some serious cash in it after his presentation.  I'll give him some.  Hey, I'm not ALL bad.


I have to tell you that this year's logo and thematic design [above] was done by a 17 year old parishioner by the name of Chris Urias.  Give Chris a hand and send a little prayer up to the Man for him.  Thank you.



1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Paul It has been a great privelige working with you, I am very pleased to know that you are satisfied with the logo, may God Bless you and I look forward to meeting with you soon.
    -Christopher Urias

    ReplyDelete