Wednesday, August 31, 2011

TRAVEL LIGHT -- OH YEAH?

I'm back.  I know you don't believe it.  But I am here.  Taking my directions from my computer in French now.  But that isn't going to stop me.  Oh no,not me.
Two weeks ago we started to pack for this nearly three week absence.  We wanted to do it intelligently and we wanted to prevent ourselves from being swamped with too much luggage.  So we did do things quite intelligently.  We held ourselves down to four pieces of luggage.  Two for checking and once each to carry-on.  It has worked quite well and we are rather happy with the results.  it could be better, but considering that we have to stay here for a long time, we are going to be OK.  It is never easy to pack and expect everything to be fine.  There will always be something that is forgotten.  That is an axiom that seems to be inviolable.  However, this time we are flying in the face of the axiom,or so we think.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
We can't believe what has happened since we boarded the plane in Los Angeles.  The plane left on time.  Landed on time.  The flight to which we connected left on time and landed on time.  The final leg took off on time and landed on time too.  Then we took the bus at the airport in Lyon and the bus left on time and arrived at the destination on time.  It was as though the moment we go to LAX that we had crossed the border into France and everything started to run on time.  Then, in France, things fell apart.  We were sold a bus ticket at the central depot that was for a bus that was not due to leave until the morning.  We then had to find a hotel quickly and have an overnight in a location that we had not anticipated.  The ticket it turned out was not good for the next day and the clerk could not give a refund.  So we had to buy a replacement ticket.  Oh, by the way, the bus left on time.  Now I have to write to the department of transportation of the local government in order to convince them that their clerk made a mistake and that I expect a refund of my $14.00.  I can hear you clucking and chuckling from here.  So you think that will would be a waste of ink right?  If I remember, I'll let you know.
////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\///////////////
As sometimes happens, after taking the room, we got hungry.  We had not really had much to eat.  So we left the hotel, took a left on the sidewalk and at less that 75 yar...oops,sorry, meters, we saw a Chinese restaurant.  So we went in, spoke in English to the owner and made ourselves at home.   I had a great time listening to him speak in perfect French to the patrons.  The place was filled.  I have something to say about waste and good portion management that was a thought that I had during the meal there.  Stay tuned.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
We knew that we had to rise early because the bus was an early departure...7:45 AM.  All of a sudden with a leap, I awoke, rousted Belle out of bed, dressed, looked at the time and went down the lobby to start checking out and going to the depot across the street.  I found it was rather dark outside so I asked the clerk what time it was.  Imagine the look on my face when she responded:  3:15!  We went back to the room, caught two more winks before rising at a decent hour and ran out to get the bus.  It left on time.  Of course.
The bus ride took us to our hotel.  That's another story.  
Now we are at LaSalette and the way here was marked by a very emotional stop.  That too is another story.  
Plenty of pictures and more "Thoughts" in the imminent future.

No comments:

Post a Comment