Sunday, August 7, 2011

BEET JUICE ? LIKE, YOU MEAN, TO DRINK?

I have taken you down some rather strange roads.  Get ready.  This is going to be short, but, Hm, different.
I have consumed some rather interesting substances in my short life.  Not the least have been beets.
They were not the Johnny-come-lately substances in my life either.  They were there right from the start.  We ate beets a lot!  
Then, I moved out of the country (USA, I mean) and beets disappeared from my life.  Even over the last thirty-five years, when I see them at least two or three times per week in the vegetable department, I haven't eaten a bite of beet for nigh on to 50+ years.
I've eaten a lot of different stuff in that time.  Brace yourself:
Raw squid
Raw fish
Raw Sea Urchin
Raw Crayfish
Raw beef
Marinaded goat tripe
Cooked dog
Strange fruits too numerous to mention -- some taste like $%&@@*^
Cooked beetles
Seaweed of many different kinds
Eggs with unhatched embryo, boiled, of course
Teas made of pretty strange stuff, hibiscus not being the strangest


Today, this very day, for the first time in my life, I drank Beet Juice.  Know what?  It's so good that I had at least a quart and a half of the stuff.  Thank God for Mexican friends!  It's so good that I'm going to tell you how they do it.  
Boil the beets in a lot of water until they get to be real soft.
Let the juice cool before you transfer it to a large jar. (See above)
Cut up some sweet fruit (Plums, Oranges, Apples, Mangoes, Pineapples, Peaches, Strawberries, the kitchen sink...).  You get the idea.  Not all of them, just some.  Be reasonable.  
Throw the fruit into the jar.  Slowly and from a rather short distance to lessen splashing.
Grate the cooked, soft beets on the julienne side of the grater.  Throw the
julienned gratings into the juice along with the fruit.  
Cut the juice with some water, maybe 50/50, I don't know.  But cut it, you must.
Add sweetner to taste.  The Mexicans only use pure, natural sugar.  You can do what you want.  
Throw ice cubes into the jar.  You may only need one, depending on how big it is.  
Let it cool.  
Dare yourself to do one of two things.  Invite your mother-in-law over and let her gag on it first, or, you sip it and be the first to gag on it.  
I know that there are a lot of beets in the markets now because it is harvest time.  It is also still rather warm everywhere in the world, except Argentina, Brazil, Australia, New Zealand and various other points south, of course.  In those places beets will perhaps be selling for about 5.00 Euros per 1/2 kilo.
That's it for today, boys and girls.  Keep smiling.


OOooppsss, PS:  Don't spill this stuff, it stains.  Of course, you can use it for dye if you don't like the taste.
PPS:  The REAL thought for today is that I am dead sure that this stuff could be the perfect base for a killer wine cooler.

1 comment:

  1. well, i certainly hope the dog was "cooked"..

    ReplyDelete