Thursday, August 25, 2011

CHANGE -- NOT NICKLES AND DIMES -- LIFESTYLE

OK, brace yourselves.  I slid a bunch of deep philosophy thoughts in on you a couple of times this week.  Not this time.  This is going to be nothing but sheer common sense that we can all believe in.  Oh, Yeah!
Two or three days ago I got a long email that I had received many times before.  When you're old like I am, you receive emails that resemble editorials that you read 40 years ago.  Those who send them to you over email think that they are new and revolutionary.  As a matter of fact, they are, for the most part, nothing but history repeating itself.  The worst part of it all is, we old people think it has been email all along.  Now, you know the email I am talking about.  The one that starts out, "Changes are coming..."  No?  You don't say?  Change?  Oh my goodness!  We haven't had any of that for a long time.  Hhmmm, let me see.  When was it the last time you mailed a post card for $0.01?  How many of you can remember the difference between 1st and 2nd and 3rd class mail?  Can you remember the last time the United States Post Office hired high school Juniors and Seniors to help with Christmas deliveries of Christmas Greeting Cards?  Was that change, or do we still do that but just don't get to see it any more because we're too old to look out the window?  How many of you can remember when the daily newspaper was delivered to your home for six straight days for $0.15?  Better yet, how many of you remember the trauma it caused when the price went to $0.25 for the same service?Now that I think some more about it, it's been so long since I have bought a newspaper that I can't believe there's been any change at all.  Except that I don't read newspapers any more.  I got over that habit when I lived in a third world country where newspapers didn't reach out further than the government building anyway.  There was no "news" in them either because reporting was against the law.  I could go on and on, but I'll leave it up to you to wait for the next time this email will rattle your CRT.  Right now I am going to propose what can be done to save this country ship loads of money with a minimum of discomfort.  I mean, besides recalling the military home.
The Post Office has to go.  Three year plan.  1. By end of fiscal year 2011-2012 (June 30, 2012) absolutely no more "junk mail."  If you want to advertise, use Craigslist.  2.  By the same time, delivery on Tuesday through Saturday, only and only in  urban areas the definition of which I leave up to those smarter than I.  3. By June 30, 2013, No more Saturday delivery.  4. By June 30, 2014, bye, bye.  Gone.  Don't tell me it can't be done.  If you want more paper, buy another fax machine.
Along with the absolute abolition of junk mail, all franking privileges will be abolished as well.  If the government is going to continue taking bribes from insurance, pharma, comm, oil, etc.  let 'em use the bribe money to get their lies disseminated.  That's what's happening now with the TV and such.  They don't need mail.
You don't really want to know what I think about the rest of this "memo" do you?  There are some interesting thoughts in my brain about some of this stuff.   I have lived in some rather unique places under some rather interesting conditions.  I'm able to tell you all that there are MANY things that we could do without in this country and still be comfortably happy.  But I'm getting long winded here, so I'll spare you.  Maybe I'll mail you a $0.32 post card.  


I'll end with the change that just hit Apple computer today with the de-mission of  Steve Jobs.  Don't worry, Apple will be around as long as Microsoft has a well that needs poisoning.  


That's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment