Tuesday, June 5, 2012

UNFORGETTABLE PICTURE, DEEP SENTIMENTS

http://www.goforbroke.org/history/history_historical_photo_misc.asp
Photo displayed at the Japanese American Museum, San Jose, CA
Thanks to Stephen Fugita and Joe Yasutake
The first thing that comes to mind is, "War sure is Hell."  The last time that I turned my mind and my fingers to "365 Thoughts..." it was Memorial Day and I remembered my visit to the Japanese American Museum in San Jose. I remembered Kris Asakawa, a young friend from San Diego and at the same time, on the same day I received a blog post from a long time friend, fellow blogger, Rio Imamura. 
On that day I mentioned to you that I had been very late coming to the historical knowledge of the internment of the Japanese people living in the United States at the start of the War.  I also mentioned the forced migration of the Cherokee Indians.  
Once I had finished the article on that day I set out on the search for a photo that I had seen in the museum in San Jose.  The two gentlemen mentioned above are instrumental in locating this photo for me and for you.  It shows two Japanese Americans "interrogating" a Japanese soldier at a POW camp in New Caledonia. I offer you this link too so that you can locate the island as being just off the east coast of Australia.
There is always a lingering doubt in our minds about the fundamental goodness of human beings.  We hear so much negative sentiment expressed all around us.   We hear the wish that the killer should die; we hear the desire that the business man should fail; we agree with the sports fan who wishes a season-ending injury on a member of the opposing team; we hear the expressed desire to see  Business "X", Inc. go "Belly-up;" we are comfortable in a "What have you done for me lately?" world?  
I often wonder what people think when they are confronted by pictures like the one above.  I wonder what people think when they are confronted with the reality of the Tuskogee Airmen?  I wonder what people think when they see fellow humans sleeping in blankets under bridges.  I wonder what people think when they see old people [and some young ones] scavenging for recyclable materials.  I know what I think; I know what I hear.  
I will leave you with the truth within me about my attitude concerning people who have survived the cruelty visited upon them by their fellow humans.  I admire them.  I don't condemn their persecutors, but I shake my head in wonderment.  I would like to be able to understand.
Maybe someday I will.  Better still, maybe someday I will not have to because it won't happen any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment