Friday, June 15, 2012

SEWING NEEDLE?

I went to Google and looked at 200 pictures of sewing needles.  I was told that Google had found 7,300,000 results for my "sewing needle" search in .035 of a second.  All the results were a variation of this.  Now, let your mind run free for a moment and see if you can generate 7,300,000 variations on the theme that you see on the right.  Ha!  Good luck.

Actually I wasn't looking for that at all.  I wanted to give you an idea of what I and my friends called a "sewing needle" as we were growing up.  We thought that they were dangeous and that they could sew our ears back to our head.  Some kids even said that they could sew your lips shut if you sassed your parents.  That didn't worry me because I did not sass my parents.  If I had, I would not be alive to tell you that I did not do it.  Also, I know that the people I played with did not do that.  I didn't meet any young boy who did have that kind of personality until I was about 15.  I witnessed it on the baseball field.  I was sure that we would have blood all over the field, but the father of the boy just walked away.  WOW!  Was I ever shocked.  When I got home and told the story to my parents, all they said was that someday I would be glad that I did not hang around with people like that on a regular basis.  As usual, they were right.  But, back to the sewing needles.
Oh, look!  Here's one
You knew that this is what you were going to see.  If you are of a certain age and you grew up in a more or less suburban area with some open space, you grew if with these.  If you did any amount of pond or lake fishing, you would see many of them hovering just over the surface of the water not too far from the shore.  If you ever called them "sewing needles", you probably haven't given it too much thought these days.  You have no doubt graduated to the more sophisticated indentifier, "dragonfly."  The one pictured above is scientifically called Libellula vulgatissima. 
This is Latin for "Very popular little book."  Where did they get that one?

Anyway, you got a little peep into some of my boyhood fantasies and fairie tales.  You also get the message that though I have grown older, I really haven't grown up.  I like it that way.  I can have fun any time I want to just by remembering.  Try it some time, you'll like it.  Remember that I suggested it.  It will make you so happy that you will not be tempted to cry at my funeral.  
  .

No comments:

Post a Comment