Thursday, June 21, 2012

SORE WINNER! WINNING BY 1 IS NOT WINNING

It's easy to be a sore loser.
To be a sore winner is an
acquired art form.  
To be a sore loser you have to learn how to to avoid the truth in the post game handshake ceremony.  [When I was playing,we did not indulge in these niceties.] I am addressing myself here to the "winner" who has squeaked out 7 to 6 "win."  In my mind, that is not a win.  It is a non-loss.  The only kinds of wins that really count are the 10 to 0 kinds.  When I was playing there was nothing that would send me over the edge more that the umpire or the referee giving a close call to the athlete on the short side ot the score.  I remember getting thrown out of at least two games because I called the umpire a "charitable Catholic idiot" for calling someone safe when he was clearly out.  I knew, because I was the one who had tagged him out.  When I complained the umpire said, "look at the scoreboard."  Oh Boy!  He had Hiroshima on his hands there.  It turns out that it was only the 4th inning and I was already trying to explain to my father why I was home so soon.  When I told him, he smiled, tried to give me some advice, saw the "lights-out" sign in my eyes and went back to his newspaper.  
I am the type person who doesn't accept "close;' wins very easily.  I never take credit for them.  I don't consider it a win unless you are calamitously devastated.  Anything less is poor performace on my part.  Believe it, that is me.
Does that mean that I am a poor loser?  No.  Oh, I hate losing.  But I have a more difficult time winning by luck than I do with losing graciously.  If and when I lose to a more proficient element, I have learned that it is a sign that I have met life face to face.  I was about 18 years old when I came to the absolutely true conclusion that no matter how good you are, somewhere there is someone who can make you wish you had stayed home.  That's where I come from.  When I win, I want you to know that when I come here the next time, it would be better for you to stay home.
Yes, I am a poor winner.  If I vaporize you, I can be gracious.  If I win by one, I'll shake your hand, but I will not have any congratulatory words in store.  Count on it.
My thought for the day.  Not very pretty in this day and age of political correctness.  
Come back tomorrow, I'll be in a better mood, you hope X[:-)-[--<

No comments:

Post a Comment