Wednesday, July 20, 2011

WHAT IS YOUR INTERNET "NOM DE PLUME?"

Four Inch Devil
Do you want to have some fun?  Check out your "Contacts List" and look for your favorite alias?
Mine has such gems as:
Craftyqt
Woolygem
Handheldmomma
Tantricfire
Emrldize
Reef_Lector
J_Rock
Polneon
Badazmofo
Takengo
Xqzmoi
Yoincaha
If you look into your contacts list you will certainly find some rather creative ways that your correspondents have found to describe themselves.  As many of you know, email names are not anywhere near as creative as screen [online] names can be.  Email names have the tendency to announce the reputation or the attitudinal tendencies of the "owner" in a way that is socially acceptable, with a little bit of humor thrown in.  So, I have found that email names are more indicative of the receiver's personality, as a receiver, more than they are of the sender's attitude as a sender.  That is generally why I have noticed that the "screen names" of the habitual visitors of certain sites reflect more the "sending" elements of the visitor's personality than the "receiving" elements.  These are elements of a psychological study that I do not care to conduct myself, but just simple observations that make me smile as I am sitting in front of my CRT.
It makes me smile because, as I have said somewhere else in these "Thoughts", anonymity is the strongest enemy of progress.  if you have something to say, say it, in plain words and let the chips fall where they may.  Therefore, analyze why you have chosen your online identity.  If it is the same name that was bestowed upon you by Papa and Mama, congratulations.  If it is the same name that was bestowed upon you by your God guided vocation, congratulations.  If it is the name that was bestowed upon you by rituals meaningful to your ethnic background, congratulations.
I sometimes use a name online that is descriptive of a physical attribute.  It was bestowed upon me by Mother Nature.  I'm not happy about it, but it's all I have.  Congratulations.

No comments:

Post a Comment