Thursday, July 21, 2011

EPISTEMOLOGY[2] -- HOW DO I KNOW THAT I KNOW ...

How do I know that I know where West is when  I am being guided by my Massachusetts mind?  There are many of you out there who have never experienced this puzzling reality.  So, sit back and see if you can somehow relate.
I was born, brought up and grew up mostly in Massachusetts.  I have dear friends who are my age and who have the same genesis.  I left Massachusetts many years ago, have lived in many places on the planet since I have left.  For the last 37+ years I have lived in a part of the coastal region of California.  I have friends who have approximately the same historical trajectory in their lives.  So, we started out lives on the East [Right] Coast and are now living on the West [Left] Coast. So there are times when our "congenital" drivers take over our lives and we loose track of what is East and what is West.  Really!  I know this because we have talked about it among ourselves more than once.
It all begins in the womb.  Doesn't everything?  Here we are growing and developing in water, in a water that knows that the Great Water lies to the East.  The Womb Water releases us into the aegis of the Great Water of the East.  We grow up and mature under the Aegis of the Great Water of the East and it becomes an intimate element of our being.  Now, out of  the womb, but captive to the Prime element of reality, the Great Water of the East, we mature as we reckon our comings and our goings by the calling of the Great Water of the East.
Then, we forsake the Land Mass called East and settle on the Land Mass called West.  This is a very dangerous move.  We will now have great difficulty ever knowing exactly where we are.  We are forever the children of the Great Water of the East, and we will never be anything or anyone else with allegiance placed anywhere else.  Just the other day, when I was driving a mere 1.5 miles inland from the Great Water of the West, I took a turn that pointed me in the direction of the Great Water from the East because that is what my entire being knows.  My brain knew [and knows] where the water is and the Water imbibed my brain with directional signals so that I turned TOWARD the water [East], when I knew full well that the sign and the arrow said West and not EAST.
I made the turn and suddenly realized what had happened.  I still can't believe it.  I've been here on the West Coast for over 30 years.  My friends have been here for about the same amount of time.  We still are victims of the disconnect between Brain Epistemology and Total Being Epistemology.  Forget the big words.  Just show me the way.  My essential epistemological question at this point is, "What happens if we move to St. Louis?  Is the Mississippi River big enough to cure us of our epistemological imbalance?

No comments:

Post a Comment