Friday, July 1, 2011

CAN A SONG LAST MORE THAN 100 YEARS?

The answer is yes.  I know some and you know some too.  We know them and they are not classified as "classical music."  Let me give you a couple of examples from1905.  Easy ones:
In the Shade of the Old AppleTree;
In My Merry Oldsmobile;
Give my Regards to Broadway.  
I picked 1905 but I could  have started in 1900 and worked my way up to 1911 for the 100 mark.  But enough is enough.  The mystery is that some things catch our attention as a community and some don't.  All the more mysterious is the fact that some of the realities that we carry around with us now were not all that powerful when they first started out.  Why?  No one knows.
I know this about music, but some of you are perhaps in touch with the mystery of why some movies just won't go away.  We call them "cult" movies.  I'm rather happy that we don't use that word for some of our favorite music.
I suppose that there is a broader question as well.  It may sound like this, "Is this longevity a mark of perfection that this music has that the rest does not?"  I think that this philosophical question will not occupy much space for very long between my ears.  Nor between yours, and I don't blame you.
It is not just music.  Automobiles fall into this category too.  The Ford Mustang and the Chevy's of the '50's.  When I first arrived in California some 40 years ago, these old cars were very numerous.  They still are, relatively speaking.  But the question is, why these?  The Mustang, for one, is not an especially outstanding piece of machinery.  That matters not.  It is the object of deep affection and respect for many aficionados.  That's all it takes.  So, the mystery remains, and the areas of human endeavor that it occupies are many. look around.  Have some fun picking out your favorite "What's so great about that?" oldie but goodie.  Me, I enjoy trying to figure out the Voice from the Kitchen.  Now that is a DEEP mystery!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment