Wednesday, July 13, 2011

AMERICAN SOIL?

AMERICAN SOIL
American soil?  Really?  Where?  Do we know what we're saying?  Sometimes  I wonder.  The language that we use sometimes makes us smile.  Imagine a person from the US government, locked into a stone building in an over-built concrete jungle saying, "We want to know if any of these perversely perfidious acts took place on American soil?"  The humorous element here is that not even a weed could grow where these so-called perfidious acts would  have taken place.  That's language for you.  We say things to make a point, but sometimes someone in the room takes the thought down lanes that the speaker did not intend.  Who among us has not been victimized by the two-edged sword of what is called in French, "double entente?"  Remember the piece entitled "Paraprosdokian?"  Sure you do.  You know where you read stuff like, "War is not so much about who is right, but more about who is left."  So this afternoon as we were driving along the freeway on the way to San Diego, we heard the expression, "American soil."  It made me smile.  I was riding along on 8 inch thick, reinforced concrete through stony hills. I just knew that I had to react to it here.
So, there you have it.  I will now leave you in peace.  I have a date with the Salvation Army, so I had better get some shut-eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment